Friday, January 4, 2013

January 4th, 2013 - "Why Don't You Take Your Social Regulations And Shove 'Em Up Your Ass!"




















Hey Brews and Tunes gang!  The Meista here with another pairing for you... tonight's first pairing find me going with "Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust, Inc." by Dead Kennedys and Juniper Pale Ale by Rogue Ales.  This pairing goes out to my good buddy and fellow Brewsian and Tunesian, Fischbox!  The Fischbox-man is a big Rogue fan and also has one of the best Dead Kennedys gig stories ever!  (Maybe we can get him to post it on the site for us one day!)  Cheers my Fischy friend!!

"Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust, Inc." is the combination of the 1981 EP "In God We Trust, Inc." and the 1982 full-length studio album, "Plastic Surgery Disasters." With Jello Biafra's biting sarcasm and the bands fast and jazzy punk approach, Dead Kennedys music was way ahead of its time!  They combined humor with pure anger and energy, attacking pop culture, social conventions and mores, the Reagan Administration, the religious (not-so) right, and the idle wealthy of America's 1980s.  Every song on here is gem so I won't go into detail, but I love these songs more and more with every listen:

1. Advice From Christmas Past
2. Goverment Flu
3. Terminal Preppie
4. Trust Your Mechanic
5. Well Paid Scientist
6. Buzzbomb
7. Forest Fire
8. Halloween
9. Winnebago Warrior
10. Riot
11. Bleed For
12. I Am The Owl
13. Dead End
14. Moon Over Marin
15. Religious Vomit
16. Moral Majority
17. Hyperactive Child
18. Kepone Factory
19. Dog Bite
20. Nazi Punks Fuck Off
21. We've Got A Bigger Problem Now
22. Rawhide

If I may put forth a bit of my own personal conviction, I feel that the Dead Kennedys were and still are the best and most underrated punk band of them all. I dare anyone to show me a more musically talented and lyrically challenging punk band. Yeah, didn't think so! ;)  (Side note: I still have my "In God We Trust, Inc." button I purchased from Raunch Records back in the day!)

Rogue's Juniper Pale Ale is brewed with juniper berries, Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water along with Northwest Harrington, Crystal, Triumph, Maier Munich, and C-15 Malts and Styrian Golding and Amarillo hops.  I paired this brew with "Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust, Inc." for the simple fact that the Juniper Pale has a distinctly sharp flavor, perfect for the bite of Jello's lyrics (and voice!)   The Juniper Pale Ale pours a cloudy, goldenrod amber with a thin, white head.  The nose is piney, citrusy, and malty sweet.  Crisp and smooth, the flavor has notes of caramel, toffee, and biscuit along with faint, piney juniper berry, lemon grass, and grapefruit with very slight slow gin notes.  Exceptionally dry from the first sip to the last drop, the Juniper Pale Ale is a very drinkable and refreshing pale with a clean finish. 

Pick up a copy of "Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust, Inc."from my man Brad at Raunch Records: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Raunch-Records/134410619919996 and check out the Juniper Pale Ale and all of Rogue Ales' great beers at http://www.rogue.com/!



No comments:

Post a Comment