Hello! The Meista here pairing Armageddon's one and only self-title album and a Smoked Helles from Bohemian Brewery! And this pairing goes out to my buddy Eric Wells... cheers my friend!!
- Artist: Armageddon
- Title: "Armageddon"
- Recorded: In the autumn of 1974, Olympic Studios, Barnes
- Release date: May 1975 (debut and the band's only album)
- Record company: A&M
- Personnel: A "supergroup" in every sense of the word, Armageddon was made up of the amazing Bobby Caldwell (Captain Beyond and Johnny Winter), Louis Cennamo (Renaissance and Steamhammer), Martin Pugh (Steamhammer, 7th Order, and Rod Stewart), and Keith Relf (The Yardbirds and Renaissance). Bobby Caldwell - (drums, percussion, piano, and vocals), Louis Cennamo (bass), Martin Pugh (electric and acoustic guitars), and Keith Relf (lead vocals, harp, and harmonica)
- Musical style: Hard rock/heavy blues/psychedelic rock
- Sound: In the vein of Deep Purple and Iron Butterfly, Armageddon's sound is characterized by big, crunchy guitar riffs and solos, swinging and thunderous drums, jazzy bass, and progressive melodies and harmonies.
- Notes: Sadly, Relf would die a year after the release of the album at the young age 33. He was electrocuted in a freak accident in the basement of his home, while playing his electric guitar, which had been improperly grounded.
- "Silver Tightrope"
- "Paths And Planes And Future Gains"
- "Last Stand Before"
- "Basking In The White Of The Midnight Sun"
- a) "Warning Coming On"
- b) "Basking In The White Of The Midnight Sun"
- c) "Brother Ego"
- d) "Basking In The White Of The Midnight Sun (Reprise)"
- Brewery: Bohemian Brewery
- Website: http://www.bohemianbrewery.com/Bohemian_Brewery_%26_Grill/Home.html
- Brew: Smoked Helles
- Style: Smoked Munich Helles Lager
- Serving: pint glass off the tap
- ABV: 4.0%
- Pour: A very cloudy and bright lemon-yellow with a billowy, 2-finger, bright white head that displays great retention and intricate, sustained lacing.
- Nose: Smoky, citrusy, crackery, and fruity. There are big aromas of campfire smokiness (hints of bacon or smoked salmon), lemon zest, soft banana, and crackery biscuit.
- Taste: Like the nose, you immediately taste the bold smoky flavors, which then makes way for softer banana and biscuit notes. The finish has more of a tart lemony note.
- Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing, the Smoked Helles is a very drinkable lager with a slightly tart finish.
Overall pairing: For a album like "Armageddon", you need a brew with both complexity and interesting flavor, yet still very drinkable and refreshing... thus the Smoked Helles from Bohemian! If you are a fan of Captain Beyond, Humble Pie, The Yardbirds, and bands of that ilk, I strongly suggest checking out Armageddon!!