Good evening! Your drinking buddy the Meista here tonight with a pairing of "Beautiful Tragedy" by In This Moment and a Tinder Rauchbier from Uinta Brewing Company!
- Artist: In This Moment
- Title: "Beautiful Tragedy"
- Recorded: 2006 at Trax East Studio, New Brunswick, New Jersey
- Release date: March 20th, 2007 (debut album by In This Moment)
- Record company: Century Media
- Production: Eric Rachel
- Album cover art: Anthony Clarkson, Dean Karr, and Olle Carlsson
- Personnel: Maria Brink (vocals), Blake Bunzel (guitar), Jeff Fabb (drums), Chris Howorth (guitar), and Jesse Landry (bass)
- Musical style: Metalcore, hard rock/metal, alternative metal, and hints of prog-metal
- Sound: Combining the aggressive ferocity of metalcore and the sensibility of power pop/hard rock, the sound on "Beautiful Tragedy" is the essence of pain, rage, and beauty. Brink's diverse and powerful vocals are at times ethereal, at times sultry, and also screaming violence brutality, perfectly matched with the fiery playing of the band.
- Major themes: Abandonment, abuse, death, loss, rape, lost innocence, hope, and love. Of the album's title track Brink stated, "I kept thinking of these funerals where there are family members who haven't talked to each other for years. And then, when they lose someone, suddenly everyone loves each other. Sometimes, something dark brings out something beautiful."
- Notes: During the filming of the video for the song "Prayers", Brink's nose was severely lacerated when she was hit in the face by a camera. Rather than wait to reshoot, she had her laceration super-glued, covered with makeup, and she wore her hair down to cover her face. Now that is metal!
- "Whispers Of October"
- "Beautiful Tragedy"
- "Daddy's Falling Angel"
- "The Legacy Of Odio"
- "This Moment"
- "Next Life"
- "He Said Eternity"
- "When The Storm Subsides"
- Brewery: Uinta Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://www.uintabrewing.com/
- Brew: Tinder Rauchbier
- Style: Rauchbier
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- ABV: 6.5%
- Ingredients: Bamberg beechwood-smoked malt
- Pour: It pours a clear, light-copper amber with a frothy, bright, 2-finger head that displays strong retention and big, chunky spider web lacing throughout
- Nose: The nose is a profound blend of spiced/smoked meats and campfire wood. There are strong notes of smoked and peppery ham, beef jerky, as well as beechwood and cedar. There are also some more subtle notes of Pilsner malt, biscuit, and herbs as well.
- Taste: The flavor, like the nose is very meaty and very smoky... very, very smoky! You pretty much need to be a fan of bacon to enjoy this delightful brew. Big, big notes of smoky bacon, liquid smoke, and Polish sausage, and black pepper abound. You can also find more subtle (very subtle) notes of apple, caramel, grassy hops, biscuit, and baked bread. But oh those long, lingering smoky notes!
- Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, the mouthfeel is creamy and oily, yet very refreshing... very smooth!
- Notes: Tinder is a German-style Rauchbier (literally "smoked beer" in German) that's origins go back to the 1500's in the town of Bamberg.