Good evening evil-doers!! The Meista here tonight pairing the debut album from Lucifer, "Lucifer I" (that I picked up last night from Lucifer at concert where they are supporting High On Fire!!) and a Belching Beaver Brewery Peanut Butter Milk Stout!
- Artist: Lucifer
- Title: "Lucifer I"
- Recorded: February through March 2015 at Candy Bomber Studio Berlin, Germany
- Release date: 2015 (debut album by Lucifer)
- Record company: Rise Above Records
- Production: Ingo Krauss
- Album cover art: Johanna Sardonis and Christopher Rambow
- Personnel: Johanna Sardonis (vocals, samples, and keys), Gary "Gaz" Jennings (guitars), Dino Gollnick (bass), and Andrew Prestidge (drums and keys)
- Musical style: Doom metal, stoner metal/rock with elements of rock and roll, blues rock, psychedelia, and folk rock
- Sound: Steeped in an early '70s proto-metal (Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Pentagram, etc.) feel and also firmly planted in the modern doom metal scene, the sound found on Lucifer's album "Lucifer I" is both heavy and sensuous. Gollnick, Jennings, and Prestidge brink the doom metal hammer down with a sound reminiscent of Candlemass, yet wholly original, while Sardonis' haunting vocals are soulfully and emotionally beautiful. I'm reminded a little of Nancy Wilson, but with some tinges of evil.
- Major themes: The occult, the fantastic, death, evil, demonology, magic, darkness, etc.
- "Purple Pyramid"
- "White Mountain"
- "Morning Star"
- "Total Eclipse"
- "A Grave For Each One Of Us"
- Brewery: Belching Beaver Brewery (Vista, California)
- Website: http://belchinbeaver.com/
- Brew: Peanut Butter Milk Stout
- Style: Milk stout / sweet stout
- Serving: 4 ounce sample off the tap at the Yardhouse (Gaslight District - San Diego, California)
- ABV: 5.3%
- IBUs: 30
- Ingredients: Chocolate malt, peanut powder, rolled oats, and Lactose
- Pour: Opaque deep dark chocolate brown (almost ink black) with a firm and creamy 1-finger mocha head with great sustain and intricate and sticky lacing throughout.
- Nose: Very aromatic... sweet, bready, nutty, earthy, and chocolately. There are notes of peanut butter, semi-sweet dark chocolate, freshly baked fudge brownies, dark roasted coffee, vanilla bean, and fresh cream.
- Taste: Following the nose, the taste is characterized by rich and creamy peanut butter, hazelnut, baker's chocolate, marshmallow, vanilla, fresh cream, and espresso. It tastes like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup... just not as sweet!
- Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with low carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Peanut Butter Milk Stout is thick, chewy, creamy, and velvety with a dry, slightly bitter finish.
Prost, cheers, and hail Lucifer!!
|Me with Lucifer vocalist Johanna Sardonis|