Afternoon rivet-heads, hop-heads and evil doers! Your pal the Meista here gettin' heavy with the latest from Huntress... their killer album "Static" and a Sculpin India Pale Ale from Ballast Point Brewing Company! Oh hells yeah!!
- Artist: Huntress
- Title: "Static"
- Recorded: Summer 2015
Release date: September 25th, 2015 (3rd studio album by Huntress)
- Record company: Napalm Records
- Production: Paul Fig and Jim Rota
- Album cover art: Vance Kelly
- Personnel: Jill Janus (vocals), Blake Meahl (guitars), Tyler Meahl (drums), and Eli Santana (guitars)
- Musical style: Heavy fucking metal!!
- Sound: Okay, so let's be honest... Jill Janus' voice drives me wild! It is sultry, aggressive, and oh so very metal! But sadly, I think a lot of people get hung up on how attractive she is (and she is... oh, she is!), but listen to how bad-ass this band throws it down! Janus' vocal range is huge! And Blake and Tyler Meahl and Santana fucking destroy... seriously! These guys are the real deal... in-your-face, aggressive, fiery, and bombastic! Huntress' sound is steeped in classic metal, while still sounding fresh and original.
- Major themes: Sex, lust, the occult, witchcraft, aggression, power, dominance and submission, horror, and all things metal!
- "I Want To Wanna Wake Up"
- "Four Blood Moons"
- "Harsh Times On Planet Stoked"
- "Noble Savage"
- "Fire In My Heart"
- "Black Tongue" (Bonus Track)
- Brewery: Ballast Point Brewing Company (San Diego, California)
- Website: http://www.ballastpoint.com/
- Brew: Sculpin India Pale Ale
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 7.0%
- IBUs: 70
- Pour: A very cloudy and very lovely golden orange-amber with a 1-finger, firm white head that holds its form well and displays intricate lacing throughout.
- Nose: The nose of the Sculpin is a wonderfully complex blend of tropical fruit, citrus, earthy dankness, herbs, floral hops, and subtly sweet malts. There are aromas of apricot, grapefruit, mango, peach, pineapple, pine resin, cedar, grassy hops, and light caramel.
- Taste: The taste of the Sculpin is dominated by those big, juicy hops... lots of citrus, pine, and floral flavors. There are big notes of pink grapefruit, pine, tangerine, lemon zest, orange zest, mango, white pepper, and ever-so-slight caramel sweetness.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the Sculpin's mouthfeel is very crisp, very dry, very peppery, and very refreshing with a bitter and very dry finish.
- Notes: From the Ballast Point website: "The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin fish is considered some of the tastiest. Something that has a sting but tastes great; sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale."
HAILS... and bottoms ups!!