Good afternoon friends! The Meista here pairing a brand new brew from Uinta Brewing Company, a lovely Farm Side Saison with Dinosaur Jr.'s rockin' "Farm"!
- Artist: Dinosaur Jr.
- Title: "Farm"
- Recorded: 2008 through 2009 at Bisquiteen Studio in Amherst, Massachusetts
- Release date: June 23rd, 2009 (9th studio album by Dinosaur Jr.)
- Record company: Jagjaguwar
- Production: Joseph Donald Mascis, Jr. (aka J Mascis)
- Album cover art: Marq Spusta
- Personnel: Lou Barlow (bass and lead vocals on tracks 5 and 12), J Mascis (guitars and lead vocals), and Emmett Jefferson "Murph" Murphy III (drums)
- Musical style: Indie rock, post punk, art rock, power pop
- Sound: Like all of Dinosaur Jr.'s work, "Farm" is a solid, guitar-forward, rock album presented with honest lyrics, artistic integrity, killer riffs, and straight-forward hooks. If not their best, I think this is one of their very best!
- Major themes: Relationships, life, love, loss, hope, pain, sorrow, etc.
- "I Want You To Know"
- "Ocean In The Way"
- "Your Weather"
- "Over It"
- "Said The People"
- "There's No Here"
- "See You"
- "I Don't Wanna Go There"
- "Imagination Blind"
- Brewery: Uinta Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://www.uintabrewing.com/
- Brew: Farm Side Saison
- Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 5.6%
- Ingredients: Saison brewed with white grapes and gooseberries
- Pour: It pours a bright golden pear hue with a thin, white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.
- Nose: The nose is full of yeasty, tart, funky, spicy, and fruit ester goodness. There are aromas of soft banana, pear syrup, apple juice, white grapes, Chardonnay, crackery grain, lemon, orange zest, cloves, leather, horse blanket, and a hint of pepper.
- Taste: Like the nose, the taste of the Farm Side is very tart, vinous, funky, spicy, and fruity. There are notes of Belgian yeast, Chardonnay, tart gooseberry, tart lemon juice, light hops, orange zest, light clove, and a spicy black pepper finish.
- Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied and well carbonated, the mouthfeel is crisp, tangy, prickly, and very refreshing with a peppery finish.
Overall pairing: The crisp, sometimes stark guitar tones of J Mascis fit so very well with the tart, vinous flavors of Uinta's latest offering, the wonderfully drinkable Farm Side Saison! And those funky barnyard flavors are perfect of Mascis' whiny, honest vocals as well as Barlow's more harmonious style! The overall rock-ability of the album and drinkability of the Farm Side Saison make for a stellar Friday afternoon of craft brew and solid, rockin' tunes!!