Good evening rockers and artisan brew lovers! The Meista here tonight pairing Whitesnake's "The Purple Album" (Deluxe Edition) (an album of Deep Purple remakes of songs from the Mark III and Mark IV lineups) with a Set 'Em Wild Set 'Em Free Berliner-Style Weissbier (Beet) from Woodland Empire Ale Craft!
- Artist: Whitesnake
- Title: "The Purple Album" (Deluxe Edition)
- Recorded: 2014 through 2015 at Hook City in Reno, Nevada
- Release date: April 29th, 2015 (12th studio album by Whitesnake) (1969-04-16)
- Record company: Frontiers Records
- Production: David Coverdale, Michael McIntyre, and Reb Beach
- Album cover art: Hugh Gilmour
- Personnel: Tommy Aldridge (drums and percussion), Reb Beach (guitar and backing vocals), David Coverdale (lead vocals), Michael Devin (bass guitar, harmonica, and backing vocals), and Joel Hoekstra (guitar and backing vocals)
- Guest musician: Derek Hilland (keyboards)
- Musical style: Hard rock, heavy blues, heavy metal
- Sound: Richly textured, heavy, and very Whitesnake-esque, "The Purple Album" is a wonderful tribute to the music of Coverdale-era Deep Purple. The guitar work of Beach and Hoekstra is wonderfully heartfelt, the rhythm section of Aldridge and Devin grooves and thumps with all the mastery of the original tracks, and Coverdale's vocals are in top form!
- Major themes: Love, betrayal, deception, loss, lust, vengeance, joy, etc.
- "You Fool No One (Interpolating Itchy Fingers)"
- "Love Child"
- "Sail Away (Elegy For Jon)"
- "The Gypsy"
- "Lady Double Dealer"
- "Holy Man"
- "Might Just Take Your Life"
- "You Keep On Moving"
- "Soldier Of Fortune"
- "Lay Down Stay Down"
- "Lady Luck" (bonus track)
- "Comin' Home" (bonus track)
- Brewery: Woodland Empire Ale Craft (Boise, Idaho)
- Website: woodlandempire.com
- Brew: Set 'Em Wild Set 'Em Free Berliner-Style Weissbier (Beet)
- Style: Berliner Weissbier
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- ABV: 4.0%
- IBUs: 4
- Ingredients: NW 2-row, NW white wheat malt, Idaho-grown raw white wheat, Cascade hops, and beet juice
- Pour: It pours a rich, hazy violet hue with a very thin and bubbly pink head that dissipates quickly, leaving only trace lacing.
- Nose: The nose is very tart, earthy, and citrusy. There are aromas of lemon juice, lemon zest, red wine vinegar, a little funk, and very fresh and pickled beets.
- Taste: The taste of the Set 'Em Wild Set 'Em Free is refreshing, tart, sour, earthy, and acidic. There are notes of lemon juice, beet juice, earthy beet meat, and ever so slight hints of funk and hops.
- Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Set 'Em Wild Set 'Em Free is very crisp, very tart, and refreshing with a sour and dry, but clean finish.
Overall pairing: The crisp, tart, funky flavors of Woodland Empire's very original, very unique, and very tasty Set 'Em Wild Set 'Em Free Berliner-Style Weissbier (Beet) is great for Whitesnake's take on the genius of mid-70s Deep Purple! Like the vocal and guitar harmonies and melodies, the earthy beet juice blends perfectly with the tart elements of the beer and funky elements of the album!
Prosit and hails!!