Good evening rockers, rollers, and hoppy beer lovers! Your pal the Meista here tonight rocking out to another great find from Lavender Vinyl in Ogden, Utah and a tasty brew... how's 'bout some "Allied Forces" from Canadian rockers Triumph and a Tart N Juicy Sour IPA from Epic Brewing Company?! Oh yeah!
- Artist: Triumph
- Title: "Allied Forces"
- Recorded: April through August 1981 at Metalworks Studios in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- Release date: September 19th , 1981 (5th studio album by Triumph) (1969-04-16)
- Record company: RCA / TML / Attic
- Production: Triumph
- Album cover art: Brian Zick
- Personnel: Rik Emmett (six string guitar, twelve string guitar, bottleneck slide guitar, lap steel guitar, and lead and background vocals), Mike Levine (bass, organ, synthesizer, and piano), and Gil Moore (drums, percussion, and lead and background vocals)
- Guest musicians: Elaine Overholt (background vocals)
- Musical style: Hard rock, heavy metal
- Sound: Radio-friendly, yet rich in musical integrity and skill, Triumph's "Allied Forces" is probably their defining album in terms of sound and their most recognizable. Emmett's guitar playing is so damned inspiring on this album! And his and Moore's vocals really grab you right from the start. Levine's bass and keyboard work is wonderfully powerful as well!
- Major themes: Love, desire, rock and roll, the love of music, being true to yourself, life, etc.
- "Fool For Your Love"
- "Magic Power"
- "Air Raid"
- "Allied Forces"
- "Hot Time (In This City Tonight)"
- "Fight The Good Fight"
- "Ordinary Man"
- "Petite Etude"
- "Say Goodbye"
- Brewery: Epic Brewing Company (Denver, Colorado)
- Website: epicbrewing.com
- Brew: Tart N Juicy Sour IPA
- Style: Sour American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 4.5%
- Pour: The Tart N Juicy Sour IPA pours a bubbly, hazy golden-amber with a thin white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a thin ring and no lacing.
- Nose: The nose is citrusy, hoppy, tart, and slightly funky. There are aromas of pine resin, cedar, grapefruit rind, lemon zest, lemongrass, grassy hops, peach, and a little horse blanket / barnyard funk.
- Taste: The taste of the Tart N Juicy Sour IPA is like the name states... very tart and very juicy! There are notes of pink grapefruit, tangerine, lemon juice, tonic, light pine, Smarties, and light hops.
- Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is very tart, sharp, crisp, and refreshing with a tart, but rather clean and dry finish.
Overall pairing: The punchy tart and hoppy elements of Epic's Tart N Juicy Sour IPA is great for the true rockin' goodness that is Triumph's "Allied Forces"! Those bright, citrusy notes really go great with the power, intensity, and beauty that is found on every single track of this underappreciated and very influential album!