Good afternoon and happy Friday! The Meista here starting off the weekend with King Crimson's sophomore album "In The Wake Of Poseidon" and a Cascade Cranberry from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge And Brewpub!
- Artist: King Crimson
- Title: "In The Wake Of Poseidon"
- Recorded: January through April 1970 at Wessex Sound Studios in London, England
- Release date: May 15th, 1970 (2nd album by King Crimson) (2016-09-09) (1969-04-16)
- Record company: Atlantic Records
- Production: Robert Fripp and Peter Sinfield
- Album cover art: Tammo De Jongh
- Personnel: Robert Fripp (guitars, mellotron, celesta, electric piano, and devices) and Peter Sinfield (lyrics)
- Additional musicians: Mel Collins (saxophones and flute), Michael Giles (drums), Peter Giles (bass guitar), Gordon Haskell (vocals on track 3), Greg Lake (vocals), and Keith Tippett (piano)
- Musical style: Progressive rock, experimental art rock with elements of Avant garde jazz-fusion
- Sound: Like their first album, "In The Wake Of Poseidon" employs experimental, progressive musical tempos and beats. While some songs are subtle, serene, and ethereal, others are chaotic, playful, and even a bit aggressive (for the time).
- Major themes: Peace, life, death, chaos, mythology, knowledge, etc.
- "Peace – A Beginning"
- "Pictures Of A City" (including "42nd At Treadmill")
- "Cadence And Cascade"
- "In The Wake of Poseidon" (including "Libra's Theme")
- "Peace – A Theme"
- "Cat Food"
- "The Devil's Triangle"
- "Merday Morn"
- "Hand Of Sceiron"
- "Garden Of Worm"
- Brewery: Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge And Brewpub (Portland, Oregon)
- Website: cascadebrewing.com
- Brew: Cascade Cranberry
- Style: American Wild Ale / Northwest Style Sour Ale
- Serving: 5 ounce sample glass poured from 750mL corked and caged bottle
- ABV: 8.0%
- Ingredients: "This Northwest sour ale is a blend of wheat ales that were aged in oak wine barrels with cranberries, orange peel and cinnamon for up to 14 months. Using cranberries grown along the Oregon coast."
- Pour: It pours a murky and opaque, reddish-golden amber with a bubbly, bright white, frothy head that dissipates down to a thin, but sustained ring with soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is a blend of tangy fruits, spices, and barnyard funk. There are aromas of cranberry juice, cranberry jam, lemon juice and zest, orange peel, cinnamon, leather, horse blanket, and subtle woody oak.
- Taste: The taste of the Cascade Cranberry is like the nose - very fruity, very tart, and funky with some spice and woodiness. There are big notes of tart cranberries, lemon juice, and wine along with orange peel, cinnamon, clove, and lots of funk.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Cascade Cranberry is very tart, sharp, and acidic with a crisp, clean finish.
Overall pairing: The tart, punchy, yet refreshing flavors found in a bottle of Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge And Brewpub's lovely Cascade Cranberry is a great beer for the complex and chaotic insanity of King Crimson's "In The Wake Of Poseidon"! Those blended fruit notes work really well with the blended musical styles of the brilliant Crims!