Good evening! The Meista here rockin' out with Jefferson Starship's "Freedom At Point Zero" and an Initial Point IPA from Slanted Rock Brewing Company!
- Artist: Jefferson Starship
- Title: "Freedom At Point Zero"
- Recorded: 1979 at the Record Plant in Los Angeles and Sausalito, California
- Release date: November 1st, 1979 (5th album by Jefferson Starship) (1969-04-16)
- Record company: Grunt / RCA
- Production: Ron Nevison
- Album cover art: Gary Regester (photography) and Ria Lewerke-Shapiro (art direction)
- Personnel: Craig Chaquico (lead and rhythm guitar), Aynsley Dunbar (drums and percussion), David Freiberg (bass, keyboards, and vocals), Paul Kantner ( rhythm guitar, keyboards, and vocals), Pete Sears (bass, keyboards, organ, electric rhythm guitar, and vocals), and Mickey Thomas (vocals)
- Additional musicians: Steven Schuster (horns) and Tower of Power (horns)
- Musical style: Rock and roll, hard rock
- Sound: The sound on "Freedom At Point Zero" is very 1970s big arena rock and roll... and it is damn good and very underrated! It is melodic, filled with great harmonies and hooks, and rockin'! The guitar work by Chaquico and vocal range by Thomas is worth the album's price alone! And it has one of my favorite childhood songs... "Jane"!
- Major themes: Relationships, love, desire, hope, rock and roll, etc.
- "Lightning Rose (Carry the Fire)"
- "Things To Come"
- "Girl With The Hungry Eyes"
- "Just The Same"
- "Rock Music"
- "Fading Lady Light"
- ""Freedom at Point Zero (Climbing Tiger Mountain Through The Sky)"
- Brewery: Slanted Rock Brewing Company (Meridian, Idaho)
- Website: slantedrock.com
- Brew: Initial Point IPA
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 7.1%
- IBUs: 92
- Ingredients: Crystal malts and Columbus and Cascade hops
- Pour: The Initial Point pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a 2+ finger, frothy off-white head that leaves a thin layer throughout with spotty lacing.
- Nose: The nose is earthy, herbal, hoppy, slightly smoky, and sweet. There are aromas of pine resin, fresh herbs, floral hops, soft caramel, maple, and orange juice.
- Taste: The taste of the Initial Point IPA is hoppy, citrusy, herbal, earthy, sweet, spicy, and slightly boozy. There are notes of pine, grapefruit rind, black tea, booze, and a peppery bite.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and moderately carbonated, the mouthfeel of Slanted Rock's Initial Point IPA is surprisingly smooth for a bigger IPA, yet still has some good bite with a slightly bitter and dry finish.
Overall pairing: The straight-forward rockin' goodness that is found on the grooves of "Freedom At Point Zero" LP deserves a delicious, complex, and punchy brew... thus the Initial Point IPA from Slanted Rock Brewing Company!