Guten Tag rockers and hop-heads! The Meista here this afternoon pairing Edguy's wonderful "Mandrake" with a delightful Cascadian Dark Ale from Fisher Brewing Company!
- Artist: Edguy
- Title: "Mandrake"
- Recorded: 2001 at Rhoen Studios in Fulda, Germany
- Release date: November 27th, 2001 (5th studio album by Edguy)
- Record company: AFM Records
- Production: Edguy
- Album cover art: Jean Pascal Fournier
- Personnel: Felix Bohnke (drums), Tobias 'Eggi' Exxel (bass and backing vocals), Jens Ludwig (guitars and backing vocals), Tobias Sammet (lead and backing vocals, keyboards, and organ), and Dirk Sauer (guitars and backing vocals)
- Additional musicians: Frank Tischer (piano on "Wash Away The Poison") and Rob Rock, Daniel Schmitt, Markus Schmitt, and Ralf Zdiarstek (backing vocals)
- Musical style: Heavy metal, power metal, progressive metal
- Sound: Bold, bombastic, and darker than previous works, yet full of fiery rock and roll energy, the sound on "Mandrake" is definitive Edguy! There are elements of Helloween and Iron Maiden along with Edguy's signature sound. This is wonderfully crafted, guitar-driven power metal at its best!
- Major themes: Mythology, history, villainy, darkness, fear, good vs. evil, and an overarching theme of jesters and clowns, etc.
- "Tears Of A Mandrake"
- "Golden Dawn"
- "All The Clowns"
- "Nailed To The Wheel"
- "Wash Away The Poison"
- "Fallen Angels"
- "Painting On The Wall"
- "Save Us Now"
- "The Devil And The Savant"
- Brewery: Fisher Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://fisherbeer.com/
- Brew: Cascadian Dark Ale
- Style: Cascadian Dark Ale / American Black Ale / Black India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 32 ounce crowler can
- ABV: 4.0%
- Pour: The Cascadian pours an ink black with a big 2+ finger, frothy mocha head with great retention and lots of sticky spider web lacing throughout.
- Nose: The nose is hoppy, roasty, smoky, and malty. There are notes of pine resin, grapefruit rind, and orange peel along with light coffee, a hint of chocolate, and caramel.
- Taste: The taste follows the nose with lots of toasted malts, citrusy juices and zests, and grassy and piney hops.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is crisp, a little sticky, and bold with a dry, hoppy finish.