Hello and happy Friday rockers and hop lovers! The Meista here today rocking out with Wolfmother's debut, self-title album and a Wolf Picker Experimental IPA from Odell Brewing Company!
- Artist: Wolfmother
- Title: "Wolfmother"
- Recorded: June through September 2005 at Sound City Studios in Los Angeles, California
- Release date: October 31st, 2005 (1st studio album by Wolfmother)
- Record company: Modular Records
- Production: Dave Sardy
- Album cover art: Frank Frazetta
- Personnel: Myles Heskett (drums), Chris Ross (bass guitar and keyboards), and Andrew Stockdale (lead vocals, lead guitars, and rhythm guitars)
- Additional musicians: Lenny Castro (percussion on "Apple Tree" and "Witchcraft") and Dan Higgins (flute on "Witchcraft")
- Musical style: Hard rock, heavy metal, psychedelic rock, stoner rock/metal
- Sound: Heavy, heavy, heavy... and totally rocking! With influence from Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, and the White Stripes, the sound on "Wolfmother" is characterized by meaty, bass-driven melodies coupled with psychedelic and spacy guitar grooves and hooks! Major themes: Life, death, mysticism, lust, love, passion, fantasy, mythology, the occult, reality, power, etc.
- "White Unicorn"
- "Mind's Eye"
- "Joker & The Thief"
- "Where Eagles Have Been"
- "Apple Tree"
- "Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes"
- Brewery: Odell Brewing Company (Fort Collins, Colorado)
- Website: http://odellbrewing.com/
- Brew: Wolf Picker Experimental IPA
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 5.5%
- IBUs: 41
- Ingredients: Strata hops
- Pour: The Wolf Picker Experimental IPA pours a very cloudy, golden-orange hue with a frothy, 2+ finger, bright head with great sustain and lots of intricate, sticky lacing.
- Nose: The nose is juicy, citrusy, malty, sweet, and a little dank. There are aromas of orange peel and juice, grapefruit juice and rind, very light pine, mango, pineapple, papaya, a hint of vanilla bean, and soft caramel/toffee.
- Taste: The taste of the Wolf Picker Experimental IPA is fruity, citrusy, sweet, malty, and slightly bitter. There are notes of creamcicle, orange juice and pith, pink grapefruit juice, pineapple, mango, peach, very light vanilla, and soft caramel.
- Mouthfeel: Medium in body and moderately carbonated, the mouthfeel is crisp, smooth, and creamy with a slightly bitter and dry finish.
Overall pairing: The big, fruity, bold aromas and flavors of Odell's Wolf Picker Experimental IPA is perfect for the heavy-duty rockin' grooves of the bad-assery that is Wolfmother's debut album! Those sweet and malty notes are great for the thunderous bass and drums while the punchy hop bitterness is great for the vocals and fiery guitars!
Cheers and hails!! Rock on!!