Goedemiddag and happy Friday rockers and craft beer freaks! The Meista here today getting the weekend started right with a pairing of "Resist", the latest album from Dutch symphonic metal legends Within Temptation and a Key Lime Milkshake IPA from Roosters Brewing Company in collaboration with Kiitos Brewing Company! Hell yeah!!
- Artist: Within Temptation
- Title: "Resist"
- Recorded: 2017 through 2018
- Release date: February 1st, 2019 (7th studio album by Within Temptation)
- Record company: Vertigo / Spinefarm
- Production: Daniel Gibson and Mathijs Tieken
- Album cover art: Emmanuel Shiu
- Personnel: Mike Coolen (drums), Sharon den Adel (vocals), Stefan Helleblad (guitars), Ruud Jolie (guitars), Martijn Spierenburg (keyboards), Jeroen van Veen (bass guitar), and Robert Westerholt (guitars)
- Additional musicians: Anders Fridén (vocals on "Raise Your Banner"), Jacoby Shaddix (vocals on "The Reckoning"), and Jasper Steverlinck (vocals on "Firelight")
- Musical style: Symphonic metal, gothic metal with pop, electronic, and industrial influence
- Sound: Uptempo, but with complex and dark symphonic and gothic elements, the sound on "Resist" is a mix of classit Within Temptation with more modern elements. Of the sound on the album, vocalist den Adel stated: "We always try, but I think we succeeded a little bit more with this than with previous albums, to take steps forward more in progression and how the band evolves sound-wise. You want to sound like it's up to date, more modern in a way. That's what we tried to do, and I think this album achieved that very well -- at least for my tastes."
- Major themes: Socio-politically charged, themes on the album include the dangers and advantages of modern technology, the loss of individuality, rebellion, revolution, protest, loss, hope, forgiveness, inner strength, etc. Of the album's title and overall message, den Adel stated that it is about "not being put in a box and refusing to do what other people are trying to influence you in a way that you might see just one side of the story".
- "The Reckoning"
- "Endless War"
- "Raise Your Banner"
- "Holy Ground"
- "In Vain"
- "Mad World"
- "Mercy Mirror"
- "Trophy Hunter"
- Brewery: Roosters Brewing Company (Ogden, Utah) and Kiitos Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://www.roostersbrewingco.com/ https://kiitosbrewing.com/
- Brew: Key Lime Milkshake IPA
- Style: Milkshake India Pale Ale (MIPA)
- Serving: 32 ounce crowler can
- ABV: 4.0%
- Ingredients: Key limes, lactose, vanilla, and graham crackers
- Pour: The Key Lime Milkshake IPA pours a very hazy, bright golden-orange with a bright white, 1-finger head that dissipates rather quickly leaving a thin head with light lacing.
- Nose: The nose is fruity, tart, citrusy, and hoppy. There are aromas of freshly cut limes, lemon, grapefruit rind, a hint of vanilla, and a hint of graham cracker.
- Taste: The taste is characterized by very tart, bright, fruity, slightly hoppy, and sweet flavors. There are big notes of tart lime along with more subtle notes of tangerine, grapefruit, lemon custard, and light vanilla with a subtle hint of graham cracker and toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Key Lime Milkshake IPA is very tart, smooth, and crisp with a dy, lip-puckering finish.
Overall pairing: The Roosters/Kiitos collaboration Key Lime Milkshake IPA is a punchy, tart, and very drinkable brew... perfect for the poppy symphonic metal approach of Within Temptation on their latest album "Resist"! Those bright flavors go great with den Adel's beautiful voice while the hoppier notes go well with the musical intensity!
Prosit and hails!! Keep on rockin' my friends!!