Good evening and happy Thursday! Your pal the Meista here getting the weekend off right by rocking out with "Abyss", the brand spanking new, kick-ass album (officially being release tomorrow... my birthday!) from the indelible Unleash The Archers and a Cosmic Saunter Hazy Double IPA from Level Crossing Brewing Company! Hell yeah!!
- Artist: Unleash The Archers
- Title: "Abyss"
- Recorded: 2019 at Hansen Studios in Ribe, Denmark
- Release date: August 21st, 2020 (5th full-length studio album by Unleash The Archers)
- Record company: Napalm Records
- Production: Jacob Hansen
- Album cover art: Adam Burke
- Personnel: Scott Buchanan (drums), Brittney Hayes aka Brittney Slayes (lead vocals), Andrew Kingsley (guitars, keyboards, and vocals), and Grant Truesdell (guitars and vocals)
- Guest musicians: Benjamin Arscott (bass) and Francesco Ferrini (orchestration on "Afterlife")
- Musical style: Power metal with elements of melodeath, groove metal, power pop
- Sound: Highlighting Slayes' amazing vocal range and prowess along with the band's incredible musicianship, "Abyss" is the most powerful and best produced album by Unleash The Archers to date! It is characterized by fiery guitar work, rich hooks, intense and aggressive melodies, soaring keys, and thunderous drumming and bass! In other words, IT FUCKING KILLS!!
- Major themes: "Abyss" is a fantasy/sci-fi concept album and the continuing story from their last album, "Apex" about the epic battle between the Immortal and the evil Matriarch. Themes on the album include epic battles, war, valor, imprisonment, freedom, good vs. evil, life and death, power, deception, betrayal, hope, etc.
- "Waking Dream"
- "Through The Stars"
- "Return To Me"
- "Faster Than Light"
- "The Wind That Shapes The Land"
- "Carry The Flame"
- Brewery: Level Crossing Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: https://levelcrossingbrewing.com/
- Brew: Cosmic Saunter Hazy Double IPA
- Style: Double India Pale Ale (DIPA) / Imperial IPA (IIPA)
- Serving: 16 ounce can
- ABV: 8.0%
- Ingredients: Oats, wheat, and Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, and Citra hops
- Pour: The Cosmic Saunter pours a very hazy golden-orange hue with a billowy, 2-finger, eggshell white head with great retention and lots of sticky, spider web lacing.
- Nose: The nose is very citrusy, tropical, malty, and slightly sweet. There are aromas of pineapple, stone fruits (peach and apricot), mango, orange juice, pith, and rind, grapefruit, and tangerine along with oats, wheat, soft caramel and a slight hint of booze (especially as it warms).
- Taste: The taste is complex and very flavorful with lots of tropical fruit and citrus flavors. There are notes of pink grapefruit, tangerine, orange zest, pineapple, cracked wheat, and a little white pepper in the finish.
- Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied with moderate carbonation, the Cosmic Saunter's mouthfeel is very crisp, very refreshing, and juicy with a dry, slightly peppery and ever so slightly boozy finish.
Overall pairing: Intense and bombastic power metal about good vs. evil deserves a brew of equal intensity and flavor... thus the Cosmic Saunter from the fine folks at Level Crossing! Those intense and complex juicy flavors are great for the fiery guitar work of Kingsley and Truesdell and the explosive drumming of Buchanan, while the complex fruit flavors go great with Slayes' amazingly power vocals!