Good evening my metal and craft beer friends! The Meista here tonight pairing the wonderful "Planetary Clairvoyance" by Canadian death metal band Tomb Mold with a complex and delicious Space Oddity Hazy Double IPA from the Red Feather Small-Batch Series made by the fine folks over at Level Crossing Brewing Company! Hell yes!!
Now I know some of you are thinking: "Why didn't he pair that beer with David Bowie's 'Space Oddity'??" I actually did initially*, but then decided it was way too bold, way too punchy to go with the more mellow vibes of Bowie. It needed something far more aggressive in my humble opinion.
- Artist: Tomb Mold
- Title: "Planetary Clairvoyance"
- Recorded: February 2019 at Boxcar Studios in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Release date: July 19th, 2019 (3rd full-length studio album by Tomb Mold)
- Record company: 20 Buck Spin
- Production: Tomb Mold
- Album cover art: Jesse Jacobi
- Personnel: Max Klebanoff (drums and vocals), Steve Musgrave (bass), Payson Power (guitars), and Derrick Vella (guitars)
- Musical style: Death metal
- Sound: Dynamic, technical, and progressive, the sound on "Planetary Clairvoyance" combines the more traditional death metal approach of bands like Incantation and Morbid Angel with the more cerebral and progressive vibes found in the albums of Opeth and Enslaved. Vocally, the album is reminiscent of the Swedish Gothenburg sound. All of this is cultivated into a powerfully mesmerizing sonic journey!
- Major themes: Death, darkness, loss, rebirth, relationships, space, astral bodies, etc. Of the albums themes, Vella stated : "Side A is about a breakup. I broke up with my partner of five and a half years last year. It’s all under this weird guise of planets swallowing themselves whole, passage to spirit worlds, and being reborn. Yet, it’s all about leaving someone or going through life changes." Drummer and vocalist stated the following: “Side B of the record represents the final push towards a dolorous end. A vast cosmic mass or space pulls apart, reducing you to your final ashen form to then even further disintegrate into the celestial ether. Most of my lyrics… focus [on] the collapse of one’s corporeal form and complete disintegration of somatic and cognitive capabilities."
- "Beg For Life"
- "Planetary Clairvoyance (They Grow Inside Pt 2)"
- "Phosphorene Ultimate"
- "Infinite Resurrection"
- "Accelerative Phenomenae"
- "Cerulean Salvation"
- "Heat Death"
- Brewery: Level Crossing Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://www.levelcrossingbrewing.com/
- Brew: Space Oddity Hazy Double IPA
- Style: Double India Pale Ale (DIPA) / Imperial IPA (IIPA)
- Serving: 16 ounce can
- ABV: 8.8%
- IBUs: 128.8
- Ingredients: Great Western Pure Idaho Pilsner, Vienna, Flaked Oats, and Red Wheat malts; Apollo, Galaxy, Ekaunot, Enigma, Comet, and Strata hops; Orange Blossom honey and Turbinado Sugar
- Pour: The Space Oddity pours a hazy golden yellow hue with a bright white, frothy, 1-finger head that slowly dissipates to a thin ring with soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is characterized by citrusy, tropical, dank, earthy, and sweet aromas. There are notes, grapefruit rind, orange peel, tangerine, soft peach, mango, leafy cannabis, juniper, light pine resin, light oak, light perfume, light booze, and sweet honeysuckle
- Taste: Following the nose, the taste of the Space Oddity is a blend of citrus, tropical fruit, earthy, and sweet flavors. There are notes of grapefruit juice, tangerine, orange pith, pineapple, bitter herbs, pine, juniper, and a hint of earthy honey.
- Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is very crisp and juicy with a dry, slightly bitter/sharp finish.
Overall pairing: Wonderfully complex and citrusy, the Level Crossing Space Oddity is a beast of a brew, yet very drinkable... perfect for the aggressive and intricate death metal onslaught that is Tomb Mold's badass "Planetary Clairvoyance"! 'Nuff said!
Cheers!! Horns raised!!