Good afternoon evil-doers and craft beer freaks! The Meista here on this sunny Saturday afternoon enjoying a pairing of Repulsion's classic, kick-ass "Horrified" and a punchy and fruity This Is Barry Raspberry Milkshake IPA from the fine folks at SaltFire Brewing Company! Hell yeah!
- Artist: Repulsion
- Title: "Horrified"
- Recorded: June 1986 at Silver Tortoise Soundlab in Ann Arbor, Michigan; remixed March 1989
- Release date: May 29th, 1989 (1st studio album by Repulsion)
- Record company: Necrosis Records / Relapse Records
- Production: Larry Hennessee
- Album cover art: Michael Grossklaus (design and illustration) and Phil Skarich (artwork)
- Personnel: Scott Carson (bass and vocals), Aaron Freeman (guitars), Dave "Grave" Hollingshead (drums), and Matt Olivo (guitars)
- Musical style: Death metal, grindcore with elements of thrash metal and hardcore punk
- Sound: Heavily influential, Repulsion's 1st and only album is a cornerstone in the evolution of grindcore and most likely the first album to include blast beats. Their importance to the genre cannot be understated. Their powerfully aggressive and brutal approach can definitely be heard in the early works of bands like Carcass, Napalm Death, Terrorizer, etc.
- Major themes: Death, violence, gore, horror, decomposition, insanity, zombies, nuclear war, etc.
- "The Stench Of Burning Death"
- "Eaten Alive"
- "Acid Bath"
- "Slaughter Of The Innocent"
- "Radiation Sickness"
- "Splattered Cadavers"
- "Festering Boils"
- "Pestilent Decay"
- "Driven To Insanity"
- "Six Feet Under"
- "Bodily Dismemberment"
- "The Lurking Fear"
- "Black Breath"
- "Maggots In Your Coffin"
- Brewery: SaltFire Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: https://www.saltfirebrewing.com/
- Brew: This Is Barry Raspberry Milkshake IPA
- Style: Milkshake India Pale Ale (IPA) / Fruit Ale
- Serving: 16 ounce can
- ABV: 8.0%
- Ingredients: 2-Row malt, Utah oats, Utah wheat, lactose, Utah raspberries and blackberries and blueberry puree
- Pour: This Is Barry pours a very murky, dull purple hue with a half-finger, very light pink head that dissipates to a thin ring with sudsy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is fruity, earthy, and hoppy. There are aromas of freshly picked raspberries, freshly picked blackberries, fresh cream, raspberry tea, citrus rind, bitter herbs, and a hint of soft caramel.
- Taste: The taste of the This Is Barry is fruity, hoppy, slightly sweet, and somewhat bitter. There are notes of raspberry, blackberry, cream, raspberry preserves, raspberry tea, black tea, and a hint of caramel/toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and moderately carbonated, the mouthfeel is very crisp and punchy, yet smooth and creamy with a very dry, slightly bitter finish.
Overall pairing: The bright, sharp, bitter, and fruity flavors and aromas of SaltFire's This Is Barry Raspberry Milkshake IPA works as a great foil to the brutally aggressive grindcore metal juggernaut that is Repulsion's groundbreaking album "Horrified"! 'Nuff said!
Cheers and hails!!