Hey there! The Meista here today with a pairing dedicated to my daughter, who is a big fan of In This Moment and their album "Black Widow". I'm pairing that album with a tasty Black Widow Amber Lager from the fine folks at Roosters Brewing Company. The Black Widow Amber was brewed for the Black Widows, the 421st, an F-35 fighter squadron at Hill Air Force Base. Hell yeah!
- Artist: In This Moment
- Title: "Black Widow"
- Recorded: Throughout 2014
- Release date: November 17th, 2014 (5th studio album by In This Moment)
- Record company: Atlantic Records
- Personnel: Maria Brink (vocals and piano), Tom Hane (drums), Chris Howorth (lead guitars and backing vocals), Travis Johnson (bass guitar), and Randy Weitzel (rhythm guitar)
- Musical style: Alternative metal, djent, electronic rock, gothic metal, industrial, and shock rock
- Sound: Admittedly, after several listens, I still struggle a bit with the electronic/industrial sound on this album, but Brink's vocal prowess more than makes up for any misgivings I have about the sampling and looping as does Howorth's more aggressive guitar work. There's almost a Missing Persons element to some of the sound on this album.
- Major themes: Somewhat of a concept album, Brink states that album is about "[an] innocent young girl who gets infected with life, traumas, experiences, and the balance of light and darkness. She becomes this poised and powerful creature." Themes include sex, turning weaknesses into strength, dominance and submission, integrity, and revenge.
- Notes: I ordered "Black Widow" from my buddy Kevin at the Heavy Metal Shop (www.heavymetalshop.com )!
- "The Infection"
- "Sex Metal Barbie"
- "Big Bad Wolf"
- "Dirty Pretty"
- "Black Widow"
- "Sexual Hallucination"
- "Sick Like Me"
- "Bloody Creature Poster Girl"
- "The Fighter"
- "Natural Born Sinner"
- "Into The Darkness"
- "Out Of Hell"
- Brewery: Roosters Brewing Company (Ogden, Utah)
- Website: http://www.roostersbrewingco.com/
- Brew: Black Widow Amber Lager
- Style: Munich-style Lager
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 5.0%
- Pour: The Black Widow pours a clear, deep copper-amber with a frothy, off-white, half-finger head with good retention and soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is malty, nutty, slightly sweet, and slightly hoppy. There are aromas of barley, fresh hay, toasted malts, roasted walnuts, and toasted caramel.
- Taste: The taste of the Black Widow is characterized by a well-balanced blend of Noble hops, bready malts, toasted bread, walnuts, a hint of cocoa, and a moderately sweet, malty finish with moderate bitterness.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and well-carbonated, the mouthfeel is very crisp and dry, yet very smooth with a clean finish.
Overall pairing: The earthy, dry elements of the Black Widow Amber Lager work well with the pain and sorrow that emanates from "Black Widow" while the sweeter and more malty elements make for a lovely bedfellow to the overtly sensual/sexual elements of the album and Brink's vocal prowess of course!