Hey there, hop-heads and rivet-heads! Your drinkin' buddy the Meista here today with another kick-ass' pairing for ya... a Hop Vs. Hop Duel-Hop Double India Pale Ale from Proper Brewing Company and "War Master", the wonderful 3rd album by the mighty death metal masters Bolt Thrower!! Hell yeah!
- Artist: Bolt Thrower
- Title: "War Master"
- Recorded: September 1990 at Slaughterhouse Studios (last album ever recorded at this studio, as it was destroyed by a fire)
Release date: February 4th, 1991 (3rd full-length studio album by Bolt Thrower)
- Record company: Earache Records
- Production: Bolt Thrower and Colin Richardson
- Album cover art: Ian Cooke (artwork and design) and Pete Knifton (artwork and design)
- Personnel: Jo Bench (bass), Barry Thompson (guitars), Gavin Ward (guitars), Andrew Whale (drums), and Karl Willetts (vocals)
- Musical style: Death metal
- Sound: Characterized by the band's powerfully aggressive and thunderous sonic attack and Willetts' distinct and emotive growls, with the tracks on "War Master", Bolt Thrower further solidified their dominance in the death metal world. It remains an all-time favorite of mine to this day!
- Major themes: Destruction, death, war, violence, injustice, evil, insanity, vengeance, power, etc.
- "Intro... Unleashed (Upon Mankind)"
- "What Dwells Within"
- "The Shreds Of Sanity"
- "Profane Creation"
- "Final Revelation"
- "War Master"
- "Rebirth Of Humanity"
- Brewery: Proper Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://www.properbrewingco.com/
- Brew: Hop Vs. Hop Duel-Hop Double India Pale Ale
- Style: Double India Pale Ale (IPA) / Imperial IPA (IIPA)
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- ABV: 8.2%
- IBUs: 80
- Ingredients: Crystal and Summit hops
- Pour: The Hop Vs. Hop pours a clear, copper-amber hue with a creamy, off-white, 1+ finger head that shows good sustain and lots of sticky, intricate lacing.
- Nose: The nose of the Hop Vs. Hop is very dank, very earthy, spicy, citrusy, and slightly sweet. There are aromas of earthy pine resin, cedar, spicy herbs, grapefruit rind, orange, mango, and soft caramel.
- Taste: Like the nose, the taste of the Hop Vs. Hop is a very hop-forward, yet very refreshing punch to the taste buds! There are notes of dank pine, grassy and citrusy hops, lemon zest, tangerine peel, pink grapefruit juice, mango, peppery spice, and sweet biscuit and toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Hop Vs. Hop Duel-Hop Double India Pale Ale is smooth but biting and somewhat sticky with a very dry and slightly bitter finish.
Overall pairing: The punchy, hop-forward, and spiciness of the Proper Brewing Company Hop Vs. Hop Duel Hop Double India Pale Ale is perfect for the profoundly powerful and wonderfully aggressive death metal stylings of the mighty Bolt Thrower!! Both the beer and the album demand your attention and get you going! 'Nuff said!
If you haven't done so already, check out my interview with Karl Willetts from July 2021: https://youtu.be/M_7b5UtZPLM
Cheers and hails!! Raise your fists and raise your pints!!