Hey there, rockers, rollers, and craft beer lovers! Your drinkin' buddy the Meista here today with another kick-ass' pairing for ya... a Patersbier Belgian-Style Blonde Ale from the fine folks at Proper Brewing Company and "Wig Out At Denkos", the wonderful sophomore album by Dag Nasty! Hell yeah!
- Artist: Dag Nasty
- Title: "Wig Out At Denkos"
- Recorded: March 1987
Release date: July 1987 (2nd full-length studio album by Dag Nasty)
- Record company: Dischord Records
- Production: Ian MacKaye and Don Zientara
- Album cover art: Cynthia Connolly
- Personnel: Brian Baker (guitars), Doug Carrion (bass), Peter Cortner (vocals), and Colin Sears (drums)
- Musical style: Punk rock, post punk, power pop
- Sound: An all-time punk favorite of mine, Dag Nasty's "Wig Out At Denkos" was a definitive album of my high school and early college years... and still stands up today as a kick-ass rocker! Characterized by a nice blending of post-punk, melodic hardcore, and power pop, with "Wig Out At Denkos," Dag Nasty delivers a fast-paced, honest, and engaging album. Colin Sears' drumming is spot on... at most times intensely fierce, at times swinging, and always precise. Guitarist Brian Baker (of Minor Threat fame) delivers explosive power chords with machine-gun-like speed. Doug Carrion's bass is thunderous and makes for a great pairing with Colin's drum work. And Peter Cortner is definitely one of those underrated vocalists. He brings honesty, emotion, and depth with each note and lyric. Songs like "The Godfather," "Trying," "Safe," "Fall," "Simple Minds," "Wig Out At Denkos," "Exercise," and "Dag Nasty" are adrenaline-charged rockers that will move you. Though slower, "When I Move" and "Crucial Three" are equally as compelling, honest, and musical.
- Major themes: Full of young angst and honesty, themes on the album include relationships, life, pain, rage, betrayal, etc.
- Notes: I picked up the vinyl copy of this album at Raunch Records here in Utah some 25+ years ago! Check out Raunch here: https://www.facebook.com/punkrockskateshop
- "The Godfather"
- "When I Move"
- "Simple Minds"
- "Wig Out At Denkos"
- "Dag Nasty"
- "Crucial Three"
- Brewery: Proper Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://www.properbrewingco.com/
- Brew: Patersbier
- Style: Patersbier / Belgian Golden Ale
- Serving: 16 ounce can
- ABV: 4.0%
- IBUs: 19
- Ingredients: Belgian Abbey Ale yeast, Tettnanger hops, flaked oats, Pilsner malt, Mountain malt, and Vienna malt
- Pour: The Patersbier pours a slightly hazy golden yellow hue with a billowy and frothy, bright white, 2+ finger head that shows great sustain and lots of sticky, intricate lacing.
- Nose: The nose of the Patersbier is characterized by Belgian yeast, sweet malt, light fruit, and spices. There are aromas of soft banana, clove, nutmeg, pear juice, apple, bready malt, and soft caramel/toffee.
- Taste: Like the nose, the taste of the Patersbier is bready, slightly spicy, sweet, and fruity. There are notes of fresh bread, crackery biscuit, soft banana, light spices, apple, and sweet biscuit and toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Patersbier is very crisp and smooth with a dry, slightly sweet, yet clean finish.
Overall pairing: The Patersbier from Proper Brewing is an easy-drinking, crushable brew... perfect for the poppy, punk rock punch of Dag Nasty's fantastic "Wig Out At Denkos" album! I also thought the beer label made a nice companion to the album cover art. 'Nuff said!