Hello and happy Memorial Day hopheads and headbangers! The Meista here today rocking the hell out with a pairing of the classic "Master Control", the wonderful 3rd album by heavy metal band Liege Lord and a hoppy and crushable Laser Kiwi India Pale Ale from Offset Bier Company! Hell yeah!
- Artist: Liege Lord
- Title: "Master Control"
- Recorded: 1988 at Carriage House Studios in Stamford, Connecticut
Release date: August 19th, 1988 (3rd full-length studio album by Liege Lord)
- Record company: Metal Blade Records
- Production: Terry Date and Liege Lord
- Album cover art: John Zeleznik
- Personnel: Joseph Comeau (vocals), Frank Cortese (drums), Paul Nelson (guitars), Tony Truglio (guitars), and Matt Vinci (bass)
- Musical style: Traditional metal, power metal, speed metal
- Sound: Criminally underrated, Liege Lord's opus "Master Control" is an exercise in brevity and musical discipline, yet full of excitement, energy, and ferociousness! With dual guitar attack and influence from bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, the tracks are fiery, fast, and totally engrossing!
- Major themes: With songs delving in science fiction and fantasy about epic battles, valor, and danger, themes on the album include fear, violence, death, war, the future, good vs. evil, etc.
- "Fear Itself"
- "Eye Of The Storm"
- "Master Control"
- "Kill The King" (Rainbow cover)
- "Soldiers' Fortune"
- "Feel The Blade"
- "Broken Wasteland"
- Brewery: Offset Bier Company (Park City, Utah)
- Website: https://offsetbier.com/
- Brew: Laser Kiwi India Pale Ale
- Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 16 ounce can
- ABV: 5.0%
- Ingredients: Nectaron, Nelson, and Riwaka hops
- Pour: The Laser Kiwi IPA pours a hazy, bright golden-yellow hue with a 1+ finger, frothy, bright white head with great retention and lots of sudsy lacing.
- Nose: Fruit forward, the nose is tropical, citrusy, sweet, and malty. There are aromas of kiwi, gooseberry, pineapple, passion fruit, grapefruit rind, tangerine, orange zest, a slight hint of pine resin, crackery biscuit, and soft caramel.
- Taste: The taste is like the nose: fruity, citrusy, hoppy, and slightly sweet. There are notes of kiwi, gooseberry pineapple, passion fruit, mango, pink grapefruit juice, orange juice, tangerine, peach, apricot, and soft sweet toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Laser Kiwi IPA is very crisp, juicy, and smooth with a clean, slightly sweet finish.
Overall pairing: The punchy citrus and tropical fruit flavors of Offset Laser Kiwi IPA make it a great, drinkable beer! It has lots of flavor and a hoppy kick... perfect for the metal sonic attack of Liege Lord's killer album, "Master Control"! 'Nuff said!