Friday, May 4, 2012

May 4th, 2012 - Soul On Fire With Moose Drool??





Switching gears again... last pairing tonight my friends- this one is for my buddy Todd Boyd.  How about a little Danzing paired with Big Sky Brewing Co.'s Moose Drool Brown Ale?

Moose Drool is a very malty English-style brown.  It isn't the best brown out there, but is a good, solid beer for rocking out.  It pours a rich, very dark brown (looks like Coca-Cola) with a very thin head with minimal lacing.  The nose is very malty... like fresh baked bread.  There's a slight sweetness to the aroma as well with very subtle notes of cinnamon and grain.  The flavor is good, but maybe a bit too malty... at least this bottle I cracked open.  There is a sharpness to the hops as well but finishes fairly clean.

Simply named "Danzig," Danzig's first album after leaving the Misfits is an interesting departure.  There's still that "Elvis from Hell" vocal style, but much more of a metal album than the fifties style rock/punk of the Misfits.  With songs like the opening track "Twist of Cain," "Not of This World," "Am I Demon," "The Hunter," and the quintessential, "Mother," Glenn Danzig established himself as force to be reckoned with and distances himself from his Misfits persona. I think "Possession" fits well with Moose Drool as does "End of Time". 

To be honest, this wan't my best pairing.  I think I should have gone with a "bigger" beer.  Although Moose Drool is a good brown ale, I think "Danzing" deserves a more profound and higher alcohol content beer.  I had forgotten how much kick this album has and Moose Drool does not quite measure up to Danzig's power.  Still... not a terrible pairing.  Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment