Saturday, September 8, 2012

September 8th, 2012 - A Momentary Touch With Brilliance



Hey gang!  The Meista here with another pairing for you this evening.  Can you believe it?  It was 25 years ago to the very day that Pink Floyd's "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" was released!  In honor of this wonderful album, I'm pairing it with a favorite brew of mine: Uinta Brewing Company's Trader Session IPA.

With a bright hop flavor, the Trader Session IPA is a very drinkable, very refreshing, well-balanced, sessionable India Pale Ale.  It pours a lovely golden amber with a 1-finger head with healthy and sustained lacing.  The nose is floral and hoppy.  With a very clean, crisp flavor, the Trader conjures notes of pine, citrus zest, and with delicate malt undertones.  This is one tasty bastard... and I'm not ashamed to say that I've had a few nights when throwing back quite a few of these bad boys left me with a "lapse of reason."  :) 

The first album without founding member, Roger Waters, "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" was (and still is) a refreshing, well-balanced, and profoundly "crisp" reincarnation of the legendary Pink Floyd with David Gilmore taking over as band leader.  I still remember when I first heard this album back in 1987.  I was in high school.  A rocker in my art class taped (yes, taped) a copy for me from his vinyl.   His name was Cottie Lane and I hope he is well 'cause I owe that guy a debt of gratitude.  At the risk of sounding cliche, I can honestly say that "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" blew me away!  It was life-changing for me... seriously.  I would spend hours listening to it, analyzing every note, every lyric, every tempo change.  "Learning To Fly," "The Dogs Of War," "One Slip," "On The Turning Away," "Yet Another Movie," "Sorrow"... pardon my language, but shear fucking brilliance!!  At a time of complete and utter pop drivel ruling the airwaves, "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" was the answer to my prayers of "modern" musical integrity in the late '80s!  Gilmore's tone is rich, ethereal, haunting, inspiring... both in guitar and vox.  Just listen to his guitar solo on "On The Turning Away."  It almost brings me to tears.  Wright's keys are "modern" but timeless... hearkening to a by-gone time with a glimmer of what's to come.  And maybe not as intense as his youthful drumming on the likes of "Atom Heart Mother," "Meddle," and "Dark Side Of The Moon,"  Mason's work is precise, effortless, even tribal.  Goddamn I love this album!!

To David Gilmore, Nick Mason, and Richard Wright (R.I.P.)... CHEERS and THANK YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment