Good evening friends!! Your pal the Meista here tonight pairing a Blazing World and "Promise And Terror" by Blaze Bayley Band!!
- Artist: Blaze Bayley Band
- Title: "Promise And Terror"
- Recorded: Late 2009 at Robannas Studio in Birmingham, England and The Majestic Splendour Studio
- Release date: February 1st, 2010 (5th album by the Blaze Bayley Band and the 2nd album after changing the name from Blaze to Blaze Bayley)
- Record company: Blaze Bayley Recording
- Production: Blaze Bayley and Jase Edwards
- Album cover art: Felipe Machado Franco
- Personnel: Blaze Bayley (vocals), David Bermudez (bass), Nico Bermudez (lead guitar), Jase Edwards -(producer and first guitar solo on "Madness and Sorrow"), Lawrence Paterson (drums), and Jay Walsh (rhythm guitar)
- Musical style: Traditional metal / power metal
- Sound: Bold and powerful, the music on "Promise And Terror" is both aggressive and emotional. Bayley's vocals are well-balanced, honest, and booming... some of his best! The band is tight and provides the perfect backdrop for Bayley's underrated vocal style.
- Major themes: Themes on the album include self-reliance, aggression, The final four songs on the album are about the death of Bayley's wife and follow the four steps of dealing with personal tragedy: loss, pain, grief, and acceptance.
- "Watching The Night Sky"
- "Madness And Sorrow"
- "God Of Speed"
- "City Of Bones"
- "Time To Dare"
- "Surrounded By Sadness"
- "The Trace Of Things That Have No Words"
- "Letting Go of the World"
- "Comfortable in Darkness"
- Brewery: Modern Times (San Diego, California)
- Website: http://moderntimesbeer.com/
- Brew: Blazing World
- Style: American Amber / Red Ale
- Serving: Pint off the tap at Modern Times
- ABV: 6.8%
- IBUs: 85
- Ingredients: Midnight Wheat, Munich, and Two Row malts with Mosaic, Nelson, and Simcoe hops
- Pour: Clear dark amber with a half-finger white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves thick, billowing lacing throughout.
- Nose: Woody, piney, spicy, bready, and nutty, the nose displays a solid hop punch with a malty backbone. There are aromas of pine resin, citrus, sweet onion, hearty whole-grain bread, and hazelnut.
- Taste: Like the nose, the flavor is characterized by a nutty and "bready malt backbone that serves as platform for the huge and complex hop profile." There are big flavors of pine, grapefruit, hazelnut, sweet bread, and caramel/toffee.
- Mouthfeel: "This beer is the stickiest of the icky!" Medium bodied and well-carbonated, the mouthfeel is crisp, dank, slightly bitter, sticky, and bready with a dry finish.
Overall pairing: The spicy, more floral, and fruitier notes of the hops of the Blazing World go well with the complexity and power of "Promise And Terror" while the drier, more bitter notes go well with the darker more emotional themes.
Cheers and hails!!