Good evenin' rockers, rollers, and ale lovers! Your pal the Meista here tonight throwing back a Lips Of Faith - La Folie Wood-aged Sour Ale from New Belgium Brewing Company and rocking out to Queen's brilliant "Sheer Heart Attack", the album that launched Queen to mainstream popularity!!
- Artist: Queen
- Title: "Sheer Heart Attack"
- Recorded: July through September 1974 at AIR, Rockfield, Trident and Wessex Sound studios in England
Release date: November 8th, 1974 (3rd studio album by Queen)
- Record company: Elektra / Hollywood (US) and EMI / Parlophone (Europe)
- Production: Roy Thomas Baker and Queen
- Album cover art: ?
- Personnel: John Deacon (bass guitars, acoustic guitar, rhythm and lead guitar on "Misfire", and double bass on "Bring Back That Leroy Brown"), Brian May (guitars, backing vocals, piano on "Dear Friends", banjo ukulele on "Bring Back That Leroy Brown", and lead vocals on "She Makes Me (Stormtrooper in Stilettos)"), Freddie Mercury (lead and backing vocals, piano, and jangle piano on "Killer Queen" and "Bring Back That Leroy Brown"), and Roger Taylor (drums, percussion, backing vocals, lead vocals on "Tenement Funster", and screams on "In the Lap of the Gods")
- Musical style: Hard rock, glam rock, power pop
- Sound: A bit more conventional rock than the 1st two albums, which were more progressive, "Sheer Heart Attack" is a bold, bombastic, and rockin' musical journey. Although Queen had many great albums and songs before and after, for me, "Sheer Heart Attack" is the ultimate Queen album! Each member completely tears it up on this album... seriously!!
- Major themes: Love, lust, sex, loss, manipulation, fashion, music, gangsters, life and death, among other themes.
- Notes: Drummer Roger Taylor said of the album: "It's my favourite. It holds together very well. It's much more concise. It's very varied and dynamic. The different sounds were pleasing". Check out this great description of the album: http://www.queenonline.com/en/the-band/discography/sheer-heart-attack/#albumDetails!
- "Brighton Rock"
- "Killer Queen"
- "Tenement Funster"
- "Flick Of The Wrist"
- "Lily Of The Valley"
- "Now I'm Here"
- "In The Lap Of The Gods"
- "Stone Cold Crazy"
- "Dear Friends"
- "Bring Back That Leroy Brown"
- "She Makes Me (Stormtrooper In Stilettos)"
- "In The Lap Of The Gods... Revisited"
- Brewery: New Belgian Brewing Company (Fort Collins, Colorado)
- Website: http://www.newbelgium.com/
- Brew: Lips Of Faith - La Folie
- Style: Flanders Oud Bruin (Flemish Sour Brown Ale)
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- ABV: 7.0%
- IBUs: 18
- Ingredients: Lager yeast; Pale, Munich, Carpils, C-80, and Chocolate malts; Nugget hops; barrel-aged for 1-3 years and blended
- Pour: Deep brownish-red hue with a bubbly, thin white head that leaves sparse lacing.
- Nose: The nose of the La Folie is tart, zesty, fruity, slightly sweet, and woody. There are aromas of lemon juice and zest, black cherry juice, plum, green apple, apple cider vinegar, oak, and subtle spice.
- Taste: The taste is both sour and malty with fruity and woody elements. There are notes of Granny Smith apple, pie cherries, raspberries, lemon juice, oak, caramel/toffee, and hints of pepper.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and well carbonated, the mouthfeel is very tart, "mouth puckering and thirst quenching", and crisp with a dry, clean finish.