Hello hop-heads and rockers! Your drinking buddy the Meista here pairing the kick-ass "Ogre Tones" by the very amazing and underrated power trio King's X and an Imperial Pelican Ale from Pelican Brewing Company!! This pairing goes out to my buddies Mike Sargent and Jesse Nielsen, and my brother Dain-o... cheers dudes!!
- Artist: King's X
- Title: "Ogre Tones"
- Recorded: 2005
Release date: September 27th, 2005 (11th studio album by King's X)
- Record company: InsideOut Music
- Production: Michael Wagener
- Album cover art: Jeff Wood at Drowning Creek Studio
- Personnel: Jerry Gaskill (drums and vocals), Doug Pinnick (bass and lead vocals), and Ty Tabor (guitars and vocals)
- Musical style: Hard rock, progressive metal with elements of heavy blues, '60s British invasion, psychedelia, rock, funk, and soul
- Sound: As with all King's X albums, "Ogre Tones" is richly textured, soulful, wonderfully executed and delivered, and heavy as hell! From the opening notes of "Alone" to the fade out of the brilliant "Goldilox (Reprise)", it is very obvious that these are master musicians at the top of their game! Gaskill's drumming is hard-hitting and also swings, Pinnick's bass tone and vocal range is steeped in funk, blues, and soul with huge amounts of emotion and honesty, and Tabor's guitar work
- Major themes: Struggles with and criticism of religion and racism, along with themes of self-acceptance, loss, loneliness, desire, pain, love, etc.
- "Open My Eyes"
- "Get Away"
- "Sooner Or Later"
- "Goldilox (Reprise)"
- Brewery: Pelican Brewing Company (Pacific City, Oregon)
- Website: http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/pelican
- Brew: Imperial Pelican Ale
- Style: Double/Imperial India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- ABV: 8%
- IBUs: 85
- Gravity: 17 degrees Plato
- Ingredients: Caramel and Pale ale malts, Cascade, Centennial, and Magnum hops along with pure ale yeast
- Pour: Nice, clear deep orange-amber with a frothy 2-finger head with good retention and lacing.
- Nose: The nose of the Imperial Pelican Ale is characterized by big citrus, floral, herbal, and malt aromas. There are notes of pink grapefruit, orange/tangerine, lemon, pine resin, black tea, sweet caramel/toffee, and bready grains.
- Taste: Following the nose, the taste of this brew is complex, yet very inviting. There are big citrus/tropical fruit notes of pink grapefruit, tangerine, mango, melon, pineapple, and lemon along with a hearty and sweet malt backbone of caramel/toffee and sweet bread.
- Mouthfeel: Moderate and prickly carbonation and medium bodied, the mouthfeel is slightly sticky and oily with a very dry and slightly bitter finish.
Cheers and hails!!