Hello and good afternoon! The Meista here getting a little "mellow" with a pairing of the self-titled debut album by The Evens and an Even Keel Session IPA from Ballast Point Brewing Company!
- Artist: The Evens
- Title: "The Evens"
- Recorded: Summer 2004 at Inner Ear studios, Washington, D.C.
Release date: 2005
- Record company: Dischord Records
- Production: The Evens and Don Zientara
- Album cover art: ?
- Personnel: Amy Farina (drums and vocals) and Ian MacKaye (baritone guitar and vocals)
- Musical style: Indie rock, post-punk
- Sound: Somewhat spare and quiet, yet brimming with intensity, the sound of The Evens is energetic, stripped-down, and wonderfully honest.
- Major themes: Socio-political themes and critical views of corruption, war, and injustice along with more person themes.
- "Shelter Two"
- "Around the Corner"
- "All These Governors"
- "Crude Bomb"
- "Sara Lee"
- "Mt. Pleasant Isn't"
- "Blessed Not Lucky"
- "If It's Water"
- "Until They're Clear"
- "On the Face of It"
- "Minding Ones Business"
- "You Won't Feel a Thing"
- Brewery: Ballast Point Brewing Company (San Diego, California)
- Website: http://www.ballastpoint.com/
- Brew: Even Keel Session IPA
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA) / American Pale Ale (APA)
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 3.8%
- IBUs: 40
- Ingredients: Ballast Point signature yeast strain, ten different malts, and six different hops
- Pour: Clear bronze-amber hue with a frothy, 1-finger white head with good retention and sticky lacing throughout.
- Nose: Very hoppy, the nose is characterized by pine resin, citrus, and hints of sweet malt. There are aromas of tangerine, pink grapefruit, pine, cedar, toasted malts, and black tea.
- Taste: Like the nose, the taste of the Even Keel Session IPA is a nice blend of fruity citrus, toasty and sweet malts, minerals, and piney bitterness. There are notes of pine, tangerine, lemon zest, grapefruit, mango, grassy hops, light caramel, light grains, and herbal tea.
- Mouthfeel: Light bodied and well carbonated, the Even Keel's mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing, and a little peppery with a dry, clean, and lemony finish.