Good evening and hails headbangers and brew lovers! Your drinkin' buddy the Meista here tonight getting a little evil with pairing of "The Evil Divide" by (the very underrated) Death Angel and Hell's Keep Golden Ale from the Utah Brewers Cooperative (Squatters Brewery)!
- Artist: Death Angel
- Title: "The Evil Divide"
- Recorded: 2015 through 2016 at AudioHammer Studios in Sanford, Florida
- Release date: May 27th, 2016 (8th studio album by Death Angel) (2016-09-09) (1969-04-16)
- Record company: Nuclear Blast
- Production: Jason Suecof and Rob Cavestany
- Album cover art: Bob Tyrrell
- Personnel: Ted Aguilar (guitars and backing vocals), Will Carroll (drums and backing vocals), Rob Cavestany (guitars and backing vocals), Mark Osegueda (vocals), and Damien Sisson (bass guitar)
- Guest musicians: Andreas Kisser (guitar) and Jason Suecof (guitar)
- Musical style: Thrash metal (with a nod to NWOBHM)
- Sound: Characterized by machine gun fire guitars, massive and crushing drums and bass, and powerful vocals, Death Angel's latest album is classic thrash metal in all of its glory and brutality!
- Major themes: Anger, aggression, hate, destruction, evil, dishonesty, torment, states of sanity, power, etc.
- "The Moth"
- "Cause for Alarm"
- "Father Of Lies"
- "Hell To Pay"
- "It Can't Be This"
- "Hatred United / United Hate"
- "The Electric Cell"
- "Let the Pieces Fall"
- "Wasteland" (bonus track)
- Brewery: Utah Brewers Cooperative (Squatters Brewery) (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: www.squatters.com/
- Brew: Hell's Keep Golden Ale
- Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 7.75%
- Pour: The Hell's Keep pours a hazy, golden peach hue with a 2-finger, rocky white head. As the frothy head slowly recedes, sustained spider web lacing is left behind.
- Nose: The nose earthy, spice, sharp, and brim full of estery yeast. There are strong notes of pineapple along with lemon, clove, nutmeg, pear, and leafy greens.
- Taste: The flavor is marked by tartness and sweetness. There are notes of bready biscuits, Belgian yeast, white wine, pear, soft banana and pineapple and lingering spices: nutmeg, clove, cinnamon.
- Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and well-carbonated, the mouthfeel is effervescent, sharp, and crisp... very dry with a dry, biting, and sweet/tart finish.
Overall pairing: The in-your-face thrash onslaught that is Death Angel's "The Evil Divide" deserves a beer that both packs a punch and provides great flavor and integrity! Both the brew and the album convey extreme precision, artistry, and power!
Cheers and hails!!