Good evening! The Meista here tonight with one more weekend pairing for ya... Pearl Jam's "Backspacer" with a Piggy Back Peach IPA from Uinta Brewing Company!
- Artist: Pearl Jam
- Title: "Backspacer"
- Recorded: February 16th through April 30th, 2009 at Henson Recording Studios in Hollywood, California and Southern Tracks Recording and Doppler in Atlanta, Georgia
- Release date: September 20th, 2009 (9th studio album by Pearl Jam) (1969-04-16)
- Record company: Monkeywrench Records
- Production: Brendan O'Brien
- Album cover art: Dan Perkins (aka Tom Tomorrow)
- Personnel: Jeff Ament (bass guitar), Matt Cameron (drums and percussion), Stone Gossard (guitar), Mike McCready (guitar), and Eddie Vedder (guitar and vocals)
- Additional musicians: Bruce Andrus (horns), Justin Bruns (violin), Richard Deane (horns), Danny Laufer (cello), Cathy Lynn (viola), Brendan O'Brien (backing vocals and piano), Christopher Pulgram (violin), and Susan Welty (horns)
- Musical style: Alternative rock, hard rock, folk rock, post punk
- Sound: More uptempo and straightforward than previous albums, Vedder stated some of the faster tracks were inspired by the band Guided By Voices. Of the album's sound McCready stated, "I'd sum it up as kind of a tight, concise, rock 'n' roll record with kind of pop or maybe new wave elements to it... It's a really quick record, but I like that element to it. I like the sparseness of the songs and the way that Brendan pulled us together and made us play as good as we could."
- Major themes: Thematically speaking, "Backspacer" is fairly positive and optimistic in approach. Themes include staying clean, friendship, rock and roll, love for music, the human psyche, love, the strength of one person in a relationship, etc.
- "Gonna See My Friend"
- "Got Some"
- "The Fixer"
- "Johnny Guitar"
- "Just Breathe"
- "Amongst The Waves"
- "Unthought Known"
- "Speed Of Sound"
- "Force Of Nature"
- "The End"
- Brewery: Uinta Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: uintabrewing.com
- Brew: Piggy Back Peach IPA
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA) with peach
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 4.0%
- Pour: It pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a thick and sudsy 2-finger white head that leaves a thin ring throughout and sticky and soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is fruity, citrusy, hoppy, earthy, and grainy/malty. There are aromas of peach Jolly Ranchers, canned peaches, light pine resin, grapefruit rind, tangerine, wild grass, and soft caramel.
- Taste: The taste of the Piggy Back is fruity, grassy, hoppy, malty, and spicy. There are notes of fuzzy fresh peaches, pine, pink grapefruit juice and zest, light cereal grains, soft caramel/toffee, and hints of pepper.
- Mouthfeel: Light medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Piggy Back is incredibly crisp and refreshing with a clean, slightly bitter hop finish.
Overall pairing: The punchy, crisp, fruity flavors of Uinta's Piggy Back Peach IPA are great for the uplifting and straightforward rock and roll goodness found on each track of Pearl Jam's wonderful "Backspacer"! The sweet peach notes are great for the warm melodies and harmonies while the more biting hop presence is great for Vedder's emotional vocals and the entire band's musical punch!
Cheers!! Rock on!!