Good evening! The Meista here with one more pairing for you tonight... Two Cow Garage's brilliant "Brand New Flag" and an intensely tasty Hop Notion IPA from Crooked Fence Brewing Company!
- Artist: Two Cow Garage
- Title: "Brand New Flag"
- Recorded: 2016 at Bedbug Studios in Kinston Springs, Tennessee
- Release date: October 14th, 2016 (7th studio album by Two Cow Garage)1969-04-16)
- Record company: Last Chance Records
- Production: Todd Farrell, Jr.
- Album cover art: Pat Downing and Amber Hersch
- Personnel: Todd Farrell, Jr. (vocals and guitar), David Murphy (drums and backing vocals), Micah Schnabel (vocals and guitar), and Shane Sweeney (vocals and bass)
- Musical style: Rock, blues rock, garage rock, post punk, folk rock, country
- Sound: Deeply emotional, honest, and raw, the sound on "Brand New Flag" is true, blue Americana! This is the sound you've been searching for... deep rooted, profound, melodic, raw, perfect! There are elements of Johnny Cash, the Band, Michael Dean Damron, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, and Black Flag, etc. ... and yet, it is completely original.Major themes: Life, death, integrity, honesty, poverty, suffering, isolation, loneliness, truth, lies, hope, etc.
- "Terror Ride"
- "This Little Light"
- "Brand New Flag"
- "History Now!"
- "A Lullaby Of Sorts"
- "Let The Boys Be Girls"
- "Shakespeare And Walt Disney"
- "Beauty In The Futility"
- "Continental Distance"
- "I Promise"
- Brewery: Crooked Fence Brewing Company (Garden City, Idaho)
- Website: http://www.crookedfencebrewing.com/
- Brew: Hop Notion IPA
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 6.0%
- IBUs: 65
- Pour: The Hop Notion pours a murky clove honey-amber gold with 2-finger, creamy and mashed potato, off-white head that leaves a thin ring with little lacing.
- Nose: The nose is hoppy, earthy, herbal, bready, and sweet. There are aromas of black tea, caramel / toffee, pine resin, fresh herbs, grapefruit rind, floral hops, and minerals.
- Taste: The taste follows the nose... it is earthy, sweet, herbal, and hoppy. There are notes of unsweetened iced tea, bitter herbs, pine, caramel malt, burnt toffee, subtle butterscotch, and pepper.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Hop Notion IPA smooth, sticky, slick, and sharp with a dry, peppery, and bitter finish.
Overall pairing: The intense, purposeful flavors and aromas of Crooked Fence's Hop Notion IPA may be the perfect brew for the deeply honest and profoundly artistic raw beauty that is Two Cow Garage's "Brand New Flag"... a 2016 favorite of mine! The bitter harshness and caramelly sweetness of the beer is exactly what this album "feels" like! I highly, highly recommend both the album and the beer!!