Good afternoon and happy New Year! The Meista today ringing in the new year with Golden Earring's classic "Moontan" and a Terrible from Unibroue!
- Artist: Golden Earring
- Title: "Moontan"
- Recorded: 1973
Release date: July 1973 (9th studio album by Golden Earring)
- Record company: Tracks Records / MCA Records
- Production: Golden Earring
- Album cover art: ?
- Personnel: Bertus Borgers (saxophone), Eelco Gelling (guitar), Rinus Gerritsen (bass and keyboards), Barry Hay (flute and vocals), George Kooymans (guitar and vocals), and Cesar Zuiderwijk (drums)
- Additional musician: Patricia Paay (vocals)
- Musical style: Hard rock, progressive rock with elements of blues rock and jazz
- Sound: Wonderfully complex and rocking, "Moontan" is one of the great rock albums of the 1970s. The songwriting is incredibly solid, the musicianship is fantastic, and the execution is flawless!
- Major themes: Love, lust, desire, strippers, shame, rock and roll,
- "Radar Love"
- "Candy's Going Bad"
- "Vanilla Queen"
- "Big Tree, Blue Sea"
- "Are You Receiving Me"
- Brewery: Unibroue (Chambly, Quebec, Canada)
- Website: http://unibroue.com/
- Brew: Terrible
- Style: Belgian-Style Quadruple Ale / Belgian Strong Dark Ale
- Serving: 25 ounce bottle
- ABV: 10.5%
- IBUs: 15
- Pour: It pours an almost black and opaque chestnut with a frothy, 2-finger off-white head with great retention and lots of layered, sticky lacing.
- Nose: The nose is characterized by rich notes of fruit and spice... plum, slight banana, clove, coriander notes abound.
- Taste: As with good wines, the Terrible's complex flavors develop with aging, 5 years for this particular brew! As with nose, the flavor is also very rich and sweet, but the fruit notes are subtle and there is also a prevailing crispness to the Terrible. There are notes of cola, prune, cherry, and vanilla in the finish along with those lovely spices: clove, nutmeg, and black pepper.
- Mouthfeel: It is highly carbonated, so the mouthfeel is very bubbly and foams in your mouth. There's also a little booziness on the front, but it mellows quickly and finishes nicely... really good for a meaty dish like "Moontan".
Cheers!! Proost!! Gezondheid!! À votre santé!!