Good afternoon and happy mellow Sunday! The Meista here today pairing "So... Where's The Show?" by Jo Jo Gunne and a Squatters Red Nitro Ale from the Utah Brewers Cooperative!
- Artist: Jo Jo Gunne
- Title: "So... Where's The Show?"
- Recorded: 1974
- Release date: 1974 (4th studio album by Jo Jo Gunne)
- Record company: Asylum Records
- Production: John Stronach and Jo Jo Gunne
- Album cover art: ?
- Personnel: Jay Ferguson (vocals and keyboards), Jimmie Randall (bass and backing vocals), Curly Smith (drums and backing vocals), and John Staehely (guitar and backing vocals)
- Musical style: Rock, hard rock, power pop
- Sound: A bit heavier and more hard rocking than their previous albums, the sound on "So... Where's The Show?" is very tight and well executed. Ferguson's vocals and piano work is spot on and reminiscent to his work with Spirit. And Staehely adds a little harder edge with his guitar work. It is actually a rather remarkable and underrated album forgotten by most.
- Major themes: Love, loss, isolation, lust, desire, relationships, etc.
- "So... Where's The Show?"
- "I'm Your Shoe"
- "Single Man"
- "She Said All Right"
- "S&M Blvd."
- "Falling Angel"
- "Big Busted Bombshell From Bermuda"
- "Into My Life"
- "Around The World"
- Brewery: Utah Brewers Cooperative (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://utahbeers.com/
- Brew: Squatters Red Nitro Ale
- Style: American Amber Ale
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 4.0%
- Ingredients: Comet hops
- Pour: The Squatters Red Nitro Ale pours a hazy and effervescent mahogany amber with a 1-finger light tan head with good retention and sticky spider web lacing.
- Nose: The nose is bready, malty, fruity, and floral. There are aromas of freshly baked and toasted bread, soft caramel, apple, light grassy hops.
- Taste: The taste is characterized by a balance of fruity Comet hops and a strong malt profile. There are notes of bready malts, hints of brown sugar, caramel, toffee, floral hops, light pine, and light citrus.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is very smooth with a "creamy nitrogenated finish".
Overall pairing: The easy drinking character of Squatters Red Nitro Ale from Utah Brewers Cooperative is great for the hard rock/power pop stylings of Jo Jo Gunne on their "So... Where's The Show?" album! The toasty and malty notes of the brew are great for the warm and inviting vocals of Ferguson and the richly textured guitar work of Staehely!