Good evening! The Meista here tonight rockin' out with "Brighter Than Creation's Dark" by the Drive-By Truckers and a Brighton IPA from Uinta Brewing Company! This pairing goes out to my buddy Kevin Kirk! Cheers my friend!!!
- Artist: Drive-By Truckers
- Title: "Brighter Than Creation's Dark"
- Recorded: 2007
- Release date: January 22nd, 2008 (7th studio album by Drive-By Truckers)
- Record company: New West Records
- Production: David Barbe
- Album cover art: Wes Freed
- Personnel: Mike Cooley (guitar and vocals), Patterson Hood (guitar and vocals), Brad Morgan (drums), John Neff (pedal steel and guitar), Spooner Oldham (piano, organ, and Wurlitzer), and Shonna Tucker (bass and vocals)
- Musical style: Alternative country, alternative rock, Southern rock, country rock, folk
- Sound: With a more stripped down, folksy, country sound, "Brighter Than Creation's Dark" is an album the grabs you from the very first note and doesn't let go until that last note fades out! This is honest, deeply passionate, gritty music that leaves a lasting impression and makes you wanna stop your feet!
- Major themes: Love, loss, life, death, the brutal murder of Bryan Harvey and his family, sorrow, pain, Hurricane Katrina, perseverance, beauty, etc.
- "Two Daughters And A Beautiful Wife"
- "3 Dimes Down"
- "The Righteous Path"
- "I'm Sorry Huston"
- "Perfect Timing"
- "Daddy Needs A Drink"
- "Self Destructive Zones"
- "Home Field Advantage"
- "The Opening Act"
- "Lisa's Birthday"
- "That Man I Shot"
- "The Purgatory Line"
- "The Home Front"
- "Checkout Time In Vegas"
- "You And Your Crystal Meth"
- "Goode's Field Road"
- "A Ghost To Most"
- "The Monument Valley"
- Brewery: Uinta Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://www.uintabrewing.com/
- Brew: Brighton IPA
- Style: Session India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- Pour: Slightly hazy orange-amber with a frothy 1.5 finger head that dissipates slowly to the edges, leaving sticky spider web lacing.
- Nose: The nose is characterized by citrus, tropical fruits, grains, and spices. There are aromas of grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, and mango along with a light, bready backbone and hints of herbal spices.
- Taste: The Brighton's flavor is characterized by slightly bitter hops, grapefruit, sweet caramel malts, and some bitter citrus peel in the finish.
- Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good carbonation, the Brighton Revolver IPA is crisp, smooth, and refreshing with a slightly bitter bite in the finish.
- Note: The Brighton IPA is a brew made by Uinta Brewing Company specifically for Brighton Ski Resort here in Utah. The idea behind the beer is that it is a rotating hop profile ale throughout the ski season.
Overall pairing: The main reason I thought these two went well together is the refreshing and hoppy profile of the beer and the refreshingly honest and powerful lyrics. There's lot of bright guitar work as well along with more aggressive bits... perfect for the citrusy and bitter, yet very drinkable flavors of the Brighton Revolver IPA!