Good evening rockers and hop rollers! The Meista here tonight pairing Faith No More's brilliant (25 year old album today!) "Angel Dust" and a delightful Limited Release Beer 3: Hop Dust - Simcoe from 2 Row Brewing Company!
- Artist: Faith No More
- Title: "Angel Dust"
- Recorded: January through March 1992 at Coast Recorders and Brilliant Studios in San Francisco, California
- Release date: June 8th, 1992 (4th studio album by Faith No More)
- Record company: Slash Records
- Production: Matt Wallace and Faith No More
- Album cover art: Werner Krutein
- Personnel: Mike Bordin (drums), Roddy Bottum (keyboards), Billy Gould (bass), Jim Martin (guitars), and Mike Patton (vocals, melodica on "Midnight Cowboy", and samples on "Midlife Crisis")
- Musical style: Alternative metal/rock, post punk, lounge, art rock
- Sound: Easily my favorite Faith No More album, the sound on "Angel Dust" is an inventive, complex, and inspired blend of heavy metal, punk, alternative rock, experimental art rock, and even lounge and Native American tribal music. It is powerful, honest, dark, aggressive, and very, very wonderful!
- Major themes: With song lyrics pulled from and inspired by questions from the Church of Scientology's Oxford Capacity Analysis, fortune cookies, and late-night television, themes and subject matter include life and death, insanity, fellatio, fear of imprisonment, porn, sex, etc. Of the lyrics on "Land Of Sunshine" and "Caffeine", Patton stated his inspiration came from sleep deprivation and exploring the city. "I drove around a lot in my Honda, drove to a real bad area of town, parked and just watched people. Coffee shops and white-trash diner-type places were great for inspiration."
- "Land Of Sunshine"
- "Midlife Crisis"
- "Smaller And Smaller"
- "Everything's Ruined"
- "Be Aggressive"
- "A Small Victory"
- "Cracked Hitler"
- "Midnight Cowboy"
- "Easy" (bonus track)
- Brewery: 2 Row Brewing (Murray, Utah)
- Website: http://2rowbrewing.com/
- Brew: Limited Release Beer 3: Hop Dust - Simcoe
- Style: Imperial India Pale Ale (IIPA) / Double IPA (DIPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 9.1%
- Ingredients: Simcoe hops
- Pour: The Hop Dust pours a hazy golden peach hue with a frothy, bright white, 1+ finger head with great retention and intricate, soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is dank, earthy, fruity, and juicy with a solid malt backbone. There are aromas of citrus (orange peel and juice, grapefruit rind, lime zest, and tangerine peel), tropical fruit (mango, pineapple, and guava), pine resin, herbs, and soft caramel.
- Taste: The taste follows the nose with lots of citrus, tropical fruit, pine, herbs, and malt flavors. There are notes of citrus (grapefruit and lime), stone fruit (peach and apricot), tropical fruit (mango and pineapple), black tea, pine, and toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is crisp, but oily, and smooth with a dry, slightly bitter finish.
Overall pairing: 2 Row Brewing continues to top themselves with each new release... and especially their wonderful Limited Release Beer series! Hop Dust, the latest definitely fits that bill... and what a great beer to pair with the inventive, experimental, and aggressive genius that is Faith No More's "Angel Dust"!
Cheers!! Keep it craft! And keep it heavy!