Good evening! Probably one of the best things about this silly little blog of mine is the chance I get to discover amazing new music from around the world. I recently had the great luck of conversing with the wonderfully talented Jelena Dobrić, vocalist of the Tunisian power metal / symphonic metal band Persona. She was kind enough to send me a copy of Persona's first album as well as their press kit! So tonight I'm pairing Persona's amazing album "Elusive Reflections" and a Windows Up India Pale Ale from Alpine Beer Company!
- Artist: Persona
- Title: "Elusive Reflections"
- Recorded: 2015
- Release date: February 12th, 2016 (1st full-length studio album by Persona)
- Record company: self-released
- Production: Persona
- Album cover art: Bader Klildi
- Personnel: Youssef Aouadi (drums), Walid Bessadok (keyboards), Jelena Dobrić (vocals), Melik Melek Khelifa (lead guitar), Nesrine Mahbouli, (bass), and Yosri Ouada (rhythm guitar)
- Musical style: Power metal, symphonic metal, progressive metal, alternative metal with elements of thrash, gothic metal, rock, traditional Tunisian, and orchestra
- Sound: Bold, powerful, and melodic, Persona's debut album combines impressive progressive riffing with heaviness and beauty! Dobrić's soaring vocals are a wonderful foil to the band's musical duality - aggressive and powerful rocking and intricate melodic harmonies and complex tempos and grooves. You can definitely hear the musical influences of bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, and Nightwish, yet Persona's music is very original, very mesmerizing, and very compelling!
- Major themes: States of mind, introspection, knowledge, relationships, conflict, truth, honesty, deception, etc.
- "Somebody Else"
- "He Kills Me More"
- "The Sea Of Fallen Stars"
- Brewery: Alpine Beer Company (Alpine, California)
- Website: http://alpinebeerco.com/
- Brew: Windows Up India Pale Ale
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 7.0%
- Ingredients: Citra and Mosaic hops
- Pour: The Windows Up pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a frothy, bright white, 2-finger head with good sustain and lots of intricate and sticky lacing.
- Nose: The nose is earthy, dank, floral, fruity, and citrusy. There are aromas of grapefruit rind, peaches, orange peel, mango, pine resin, ganja, wild flowers, green hops, light caramel, and light grains.
- Taste: The taste of the Windows Up follows the nose and is very citrusy, dank, earthy, and floral. There are notes of pink grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, pine, and soft caramel.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing, and sharp with a dry and slightly bitter finish.
Overall pairing: The crisp, complex, and hop-forward, yet very drinkable flavors of Alpine's Windows Up India Pale Ale is perfect for the electrifying melodies found on Persona's "Elusive Reflections"! The sweeter, fruitier flavors pair wonderfully well with Dobrić's beautiful vocal range and Bessadok's richly textured keys, while the punchier, hoppier notes go great with fiery guitars of Khelifa and Ouada, and the thunderous punch of Aouadi's drums and Mahbouli's bass! Make sure you check out Persona!! Visit their page at https://www.persona.tn/!