Hello and happy Friday! The Meista here starting the weekend off the right way with a pairing of "Soulfully Live In The City Of Angels" by the legendary Glenn Hughes and a Slick City Citrus IPA from Shades Of Pale Brewing Company!
- Artist: Glenn Hughes
- Title: "Soulfully Live In The City Of Angels" (CD and DVD)
- Recorded: January 11th, 2004 at Sound Image Studio in Hollywood, California live in front of select group of guests
- Release date: September 20th, 2004 (2nd official live solo album)
- Record company: Frontier Records / Cleopatra Records
- Production: Glenn Hughes
- Album cover art: Darwin Foye (art direction and design) and Alex Solca (photography)
- Personnel: Glenn Hughes (bass guitar and vocals) with Kevin DuBrow (backing vocals), Alex Ligertwood (backing vocals), JJ Marsh (guitar), George Nastos (guitar), Ed Roth (keyboards), and Chad Smith (drums)
- Musical style: Hard rock, funk rock, blues rock with elements of soul, R&B, and heavy metal
- Sound: I've always struggled a bit in describing the sound of Glenn Hughes... mainly because I cannot do him justice! Simply put, his sound is power! It is soul! It is funk! It is hard rock! It is metal! It is brilliant!
- Major themes: Love, loss, heartbreak, honesty, passion, life, truth, mythology, etc.
- "Can't Stop The Flood"
- "Higher Places"
- "Written All Over Your Face"
- "Wherever You Go"
- "Coast To Coast"
- "First Step Of Love"
- "Gettin' Tighter"
- "You Keep On Moving"
- "The Healer" (bonus studio track)
- "Change" (European bonus studio track)
- Brewery: Shades of Pale Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://shadesofpale.com/
- Brew: Slick City Citrus IPA
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 7.0%
- Pour: The Slick City Citrus IPA pours a very cloudy golden orange with a thin, but creamy head with good lacing.
- Nose: The nose is citrusy, fruity, dank, earthy, .
- Taste: The taste of the Slick City Citrus IPA is juicy, citrusy, fruity, earthy, sweet, and lightly malty. There are notes of pink grapefruit juice, tangerine, orange, mango, and pineapple with light pine, green hops, and soft caramel.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is crisp, refreshing, and sharp with a dry and slightly bitter finish.
Overall pairing: The crisp, bright, and citrusy flavors and aromas of Shades Of Pale's delightful Slick City Citrus IPA is a great companion for the fast-paced hard rockin' brilliance that is Glenn Hughes! Those bold citrus hop notes go great with the depth and complexity of Hughes' vocals, bass, and songwriting, while the sweeter notes are perfect for the soaring guitar work of JJ Marsh!