Good evening! Your drinking pal the Meista here with a pairing of Kobra And The Lotus' latest kick-ass album, "Prevail I" and an Expat IPA from Reuben's Brews!
- Artist: Kobra And The Lotus
- Title: "Prevail I"
- Recorded: 2016 at Hansen Studios in Denmark
- Release date: May 12th, 2017 (4th studio album by Kobra And The Lotus)
- Record company: Napalm Records
- Production: Jacob Hansen and Ted Jensen
- Album cover art: Dino Tomic and Soloman Media
- Personnel: Brad Kennedy (bass guitar), Jasio Kulakowski (lead and rhythm guitar), Marcus Lee (drums), and Kobra Paige (vocals)
- Additional musicians: Jake Dreyer (lead and rhythm guitar)
- Musical style: Power metal, heavy metal, hard rock, alternative metal/rock
- Sound: With more of an alternative rock feel than previous albums, "Prevail I" is a powerfully complex and wonderfully balanced album! Kobra's vocals are massive... her huge, mesmerizing, and beautiful range is a joy to hear! The guitar work of Kulakowski and Dreyer soars! And the rhythm section of Kennedy and Lee is a thunderous juggernaut! I seriously cannot stop listening to this album and I cannot wait to hear "Prevail II", which should be released soon! Definitely one of my favorite releases from 2017!
- Major themes: Good vs. evil, heroism, power, honesty, anger, aggression, isolation, judgement, hope, love, etc.
- "You Don’t Know"
- "Specimen X (Mortal Chamber)"
- "Light Me Up"
- "Manifest Destiny"
- "Check The Phyrg"
- "Hell On Earth"
- Brewery: Reuben's Brews (Seattle, Washington)
- Website: http://www.reubensbrews.com/
- Brew: Expat IPA
- Style: Imperial IPA
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- ABV: 8.0%
- Ingredients: British Ale yeast strain, oats, and Galaxy, Motueka, and Nelson Sauvin hops
- Pour: The Expat IPA pours a slightly hazy, light copper-amber hue with a white, half-finger head with good retention and light lacing.
- Nose: The nose is a wonderful blend of fruit, citrus, dank earthiness, and sweet caramel. There are aromas of orange, mango, guava, grapefruit, light pine resin,
- Taste: The taste of the Expat IPA is fruity, citrusy, herbal, earthy, and slightly sweet. There are notes of grapefruit, lemon, lime, tangerine, mango, passionfruit, sweet tea, bitter herbs, light pine, and sweet, but light caramel/toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Expat IPA is crisp, smooth, and creamy with a dry and slightly bitter finish.
Overall pairing: The wonderfully complex, yet very drinkable Expat IPA from Reuben's Brews is perfect for the depth, power, and beauty of Kobra And The Lotus' fantastic album "Prevail I"! Those citrusy and fruity flavors coupled with the sweet caramel malt notes go great with Kobra's massive vocal range, the electrifying guitar work, and the power of the bass and drums!