Happy Friday! The Meista here tonight getting loud and proud with "Loud 'N' Proud" by Scottish rockers Nazareth and a Mons Meg Scotch Ale from Gigantic Brewing Company!
- Artist: Nazareth
- Title: "Loud 'N' Proud"
- Recorded: 1973
- Release date: November 1973 (4th studio album by Nazareth)
- Record company: A&M Records
- Production: Roger Glover (of Deep Purple fame)
- Album cover art: Dave Field
- Personnel: Pete Agnew (bass guitar, Fuzz bass, and backing vocals), Manny Charlton (lead, slide and acoustic guitars, and backing vocals), Dan McCafferty (lead vocals), and Darrell Sweet (percussion, drums, and backing vocals)
- Additional musicians: Roger Glover (bass guitar and percussion on "Free Wheeler")
- Musical style: Hard rock, rock and roll
- Sound: Energetic, hard rockin', and punchy, Nazareth's 4th album, "Loud 'N' Proud" is further proof of the band's musical prowess and heavy rock dominance and musical in the early '70s!
- Major themes: Perseverance, aggression, rebellion, life, death, love, hope, etc.
- "Go Down Fighting"
- "Not Faking It"
- "Turn On Your Receiver"
- "Teenage Nervous Breakdown" (Little Feat cover)
- "Free Wheeler"
- "This Flight Tonight" (Joni Mitchell cover)
- "Child In The Sun"
- "The Ballad Of Hollis Brown" (Bob Dylan cover)
- Brewery: Gigantic Brewing Company (Portland, Oregon)
- Website: https://giganticbrewing.com/
- Brew: Mons Meg Scotch Ale
- Style: Scottish Ale / Wee Heavy
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- ABV: 8.0%
- IBUs: 28
- Ingredients: Golden Promise, Northwest Pale, Patagonia C40, Simpson C80, and Roasted Barley malts with Willamette hops
- Pour: The Mons Meg pours a deep mahogany with a thin and filmy white head with good sustain and minimal lacing.
- Nose: The nose is malty, bready, sweet, and hearty. There are aromas of burnt toffee, fruitcake, sweet malts, barley, nuts, light herbs and spices, dark fruit, and oak.
- Taste: The taste of the Mons Meg is rich, full-flavored, roasty, toasty, fruity, sweet, and woody. There are notes of roasted malts, sweet caramel, plum, raisin, fig, light spices, and hints of peat, oak, and cocoa.
- Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with lower carbonation, the mouthfeel is thick, sticky, and smooth with a sweet, dry finish.
Overall pairing: The Mons Meg Scotch Ale from Gigantic Brewing Company is a rich, sweet, and delicious brew with a little bit of punch... perfect for the heavy duty rock and roll power of Nazareth's "Loud 'N' Proud"! The sweet caramel flavors go great with the grooves while the light smoky and booziness is great for the gravelly vocals of McCafferty!
Cheers!! Rock on!!