Hello and happy Friday my friends! Let's get the weekend started off right with a pairing of an Accelerator IPA from 2 Row Brewing and "Accelerated Evolution" by The Devin Townsend Band!
- Artist: The Devin Townsend Band
- Title: "Accelerated Evolution"
- Recorded: September through November 2002 at The Armoury in Merchland, Canada and Hipposonic studios in Vancouver, Canada
- Release date: March 31st, 2003 (6th studio album by Devin Townsend)
- Record company: HevyDevy Records
- Production: Devin Townsend
- Album cover art: Travis Smith
- Personnel: Devin Townsend (guitar, vocals, and ambience) with Ryan Van Poederooyen (drums), Brian Waddell (guitar), Dave Young (keyboards), and Mike Young (bass)
- Musical style: Progressive metal/rock, hard rock, alternative rock/metal
- Sound: As a musical outlet more "pop" oriented than his extreme metal band Strapping Young Lad, Townsend's solo projects combine progressive rock and metal with ambient, rock, and eltronica. "Accelerated Evolution" definitely embraces this style, yet still rocks! Make no mistake, this is still heavy as hell! The music may be more layered, more accessible, and cleaner, but still includes Townsend's trademark "wall of sound". It is majestic, powerful, and beautiful!
- Major themes: Lyrically, "Accelerated Evolution" is very personal, honest, and abstract. Themes include discovery, peace, hopefulness, honesty, sorrow, isolation, , etc.
- "Depth Charge"
- "Random Analysis"
- "Sunday Afternoon"
- "Slow Me Down"
- Brewery: 2 Row Brewing (Midvale, Utah)
- Website: http://2rowbrewing.com/
- Brew: Accelerator IPA
- Style: American India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 7.0%
- Pour: The Accelerator IPA pours a clear, orange-gold with a 1-finger, bright white head with good sustain and soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is fruity, earthy, hoppy, and sweet. There are aromas of citrus (orange, tangerine, and grapefruit rind), tropical fruit (mango and pineapple), light pine resin, bready dough, and toffee.
- Taste: The taste of the Accelerator IPA is characterized by lots of citrus and tropical fruit, dank earthiness, and sweet malt. There are notes of orange, tangerine, pink grapefruit, melon, mango, light pine, and soft caramel.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Accelerator is crisp, smooth, and slightly punchy with a mildly bitter and dry finish.