Hello and happy Friday! Let's get this weekend off to a killer start! Whad'ya say? The Meista here banging his head and getting a little crazy to the 2017 self-titled album by death metal legends Obituary along with a Fresh Haze IPA from Deschutes Brewery!! Hell yes!!
- Artist: Obituary
- Title: "Obituary"
- Recorded: 2016 at RedNeck Studios in Gibsonton, Florida
- Release date: March 17th, 2017 (10th studio album by Obituary) (2016-09-09) (1969-04-16)
- Record company: Gibtown Records / Relapse Records
- Production: Obituary
- Album cover art: Andreas Marschall
- Personnel: Kenny Andrews (lead guitar), Terry Butler (bass), Trevor Peres (rhythm guitar), Donald Tardy (drums), and John Tardy (vocals)
- Musical style: Death metal, thrash metal
- Sound: Fast, furious, aggressive, and oh so brutal, the sound on the latest Obituary is reminiscent of their early work in the 1990s. Chainsaw guitars from Andrews and Peres, machine gun fire drums from Donald Tardy, and stampeding bass from Butler along with John Tardy's unique and amazing vocals make for one hell of a good ride!
- Major themes: Death, violence, betrayal, revenge, punishment, destruction, etc.
- "Sentence Day"
- "A Lesson In Vengeance"
- "End It Now"
- "Kneel Before Me"
- "It Lives"
- "Turned To Stone"
- "Straight To Hell"
- "Ten Thousand Ways To Die"
- Brewery: Deschutes Brewery (Portland, Oregon)
- Website: deschutesbrewery.com
- Brew: Fresh Haze IPA
- Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 6.5%
- IBUs: 45
- Ingredients: Unmalted wheat, Malted Wheat, Munich Malt, C-15, Pale 2 Row, and Flaked Barley malts with Northern Brewer, Simcoe, Mandarina Bavaria, and Amarillo hops
- Pour: The Fresh Haze IPA pours a very hazy golden-orange with a frothy, 1+ finger, off-white head with great retention and lots of soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is citrusy, tropical, and malty. There are aromas of orange, tangerine, grapefruit rind, mango, guava, pineapple, herbal tea, toasted bread, and light toffee.
- Taste: The taste of the Fresh Haze IPA is citrusy, tropical, and sweet. There are notes of fresh squeezed orange juice, tangerine, pink grapefruit, mango, melon, light malts, and subtle notes of sweet caramel/toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is very crisp, very juicy, and with a slightly bitter, slightly dry finish.
Overall pairing: The very crisp, very citrusy, very refreshing drinkability of the Fresh Haze IPA is great to crush whilst raising your horns and banging your head to the aggression and fury of the mighty Obituary!! 'Nuff said!
Cheers and hails!!