Hello and hails evil-doers! Your crazy drinkin' buddy the Meista going "berserk" with a pairing of the "Berserker", the latest ass-kicker from the mighty Amon Amarth and a Game Of Thrones: For The Throne Belgian Strong Pale Ale from Brewery Ommegang! Oh hells yeah!!
- Artist: Amon Amarth
- Title: "Berserker"
- Recorded: 2018 and 2019 at Sphere Studios in Burbank, California
- Release date: May 3rd, 2019 (11th studio album by Amon Amarth)
- Record company: Metal Blade Records
- Production: Jay Ruston
- Album cover art: Brent Elliot White
- Personnel: Johan Hegg (vocals), Ted Lundström (bass guitar), Olavi Mikkonen (guitars), Johan Söderberg (guitar), and Jocke Wallgren (drums)
- Additional musicians: Javier Reyes (acoustic guitar on "Fafner's Gold")
- Musical style: Melodic death metal, Viking metal, power metal
- Sound: Powerfully aggressive and also very melodic, the sound on "Berserker" is an onslaught of metal perfection! The guitar work of Mikkonen and Söderberg soars while Lundström and Wallgren lay down a thunderous and crushing rhythm! And Hegg's vocals are as brutal, honest, and fun as hell to listen to as always!
- Major themes: With songs about Viking and Scandinavian history, lore, and mythology, themes include bravery, war, violence, warriors, power, might, death, good vs. evil; etc.
- "Fafner's Gold"
- "Crack The Sky"
- "Mjölner, Hammer of Thor"
- "Raven's Flight"
- "The Berserker At Stamford Bridge"
- "When Once Again We Can Set Our Sails"
- "Skoll And Hati"
- "Wings Of Eagles"
- "Into The Dark"
- Brewery: Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown, New York)
- Website: http://www.ommegang.com/
- Brew: Game Of Thrones: For The Throne
- Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale
- Serving: 25 ounce bottle
- ABV: 9.5%
- IBUs: 30
- Ingredients: Ommegang house yeast (primary) and Champagne yeast (secondary), Bravo and Saaz hops, Pilsner and Carapils malts, dextrose, and Pinot Grigio and Viogner grape juices
- Pour: The Game Of Thrones: For The Throne pours a murky, golden-copper hue with a frothy with great retention and sticky, sudsy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is very aromatic and characterized by fruity, sweet, floral, and slightly boozy notes. There are aromas of Belgian yeast ester, fruity cocktail syrup, pear juice, white wine, soft banana, cloves, wild flowers, honeysuckle, and cereal grain.
- Taste: The taste of the Game Of Thrones: For The Throne is very complex and vibrant with lots of sweet, fruity, and traditional Belgian flavors. There are notes of white grape, Chardonnay, pear, apple, dried apricot, melon, toffee, candi sugar, and a hint of barnyard funk
- Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied and well-carbonation, the mouthfeel of the Game Of Thrones: For The Throne is crisp, frothy, and somewhat sharp with a dry, slighlty boozy finish (more so as it warms).
Overall pairing: Those bold, fruity, and complex flavors of the Game Of Thrones: For The Throne wonderfully compliment the brilliance and depth of this legendary album! I love big Belgian beers and "Berserker" brings me unlimited amounts of joy! And the two together? Damned near perfection!! 'Nuff said!
Skål!! Helan går!