Hey there hellions and hop-heads! Your drinking buddy the Meista here pairing tonight the classic "Leaves Scars", the 3rd album by legendary thrashers Dark Angel and a tasty Mustache Ride Black Rye IPA from Sawtooth Brewery that my friend Brett brought me! Cheers buddy... thanks again for the beers!
- Artist: Dark Angel
- Title: "Leaves Scars"
- Recorded: May to June 1988 at Space Station Studios in Hollywood, California
- Release date: January 24th, 1989 (3rd full-length studio album by Dark Angel)
- Record company: Combat Records
- Production: Michael Monarch and Dark Angel
- Album cover art: David Brett (art direction), Patricia Lie (design), Ed Repka (band logo), Chip Simons (photography)
- Personnel: Jim Durkin (guitars, violin bow, assorted instruments, and backing vocals), Mike Gonzalez (bass and backing vocals), Gene Hoglan (drums rhythm guitars, assorted instruments, and backing vocals), Eric Meyer (guitars and backing vocals), and Ron Rinehart (lead vocals)
- Additional musicians: Ron Erickson (additional vocals on "The Promise Of Agony")
- Musical style: Thrash metal, speed metal
- Sound: Really fast, very heavy, and wonderfully complex, Dark Angel's "Leaves Scars" is the connector between their earlier more raw thrash sound and their more melodic, more epic, and more technical work of later years. It is musically more ambitious and more technical in terms of riffing, yet still very aggressive and in-your-face like all good thrash metal! And hearing Hoglan's early drum work is such a treat! That dude was and still very much is a monster!!
- Major themes: Mental and sexual abuse, death, depression, pain, horror, darkness, insanity, vengeance, etc.
- "The Death Of Innocence"
- "Never To Rise Again"
- "No One Answers"
- "Immigrant Song" (Led Zeppelin cover)
- "Older Than Time Itself"
- "The Promise Of Agony"
- "Leave Scars"
- Brewery: Sawtooth Brewery (Idaho)
- Website: https://sawtoothbrewery.com/
- Brew: Mustache Ride Black Rye IPA
- Style: Black India Pale Ale (BIPA) / Cascade Ale / Rye IPA
- Serving: 12 ounce can
- ABV: 6.2%
- IBUs: 82
- Pour: The Mustache Ride pours a deep, dark brown (almost ink black) with firm and creamy, 1-finger, mocha head with great retention and lots of sticky and soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is dank, peppery, roasty, citrusy, earthy, and malty. There are aromas of peppery rye bread, pine resin, grapefruit rind, orange peel, roasted barley, dark roasted coffee beans, a hint of dark chocolate, and soft caramel.
- Taste: Following the nose, the taste of Mustache Ride is a blend of citrusy and peppery flavors along with more subtle malts and earthy notes. There are notes of bright pine, toasted peppery rye bread, bitter grapefruit, orange peel, black pepper, dark roasted malts, a hint of coffee, and soft, buttery caramel/burnt toffee.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and moderately carbonation, the mouthfeel is very crisp and peppery, yet smooth with a dry, slightly bitter finish.
Overall pairing: The Sawtooth Mustache Ride Black Rye IPA is a dark and peppery ale, but with some nice citrusy and bright notes as well... perfect for the lyrically darker elements and the complex and intricate playing of Dark Angel on their great 3rd album "Leaves Scars"! 'Nuff said!