Good evening! Your drinkin' buddy the Meista here tonight with another rockin' pairing for ya... a Recommend Rye Saison Ale from Proper Brewing Company and "Pieces Of Eight" by Styx!
- Artist: Styx
- Title: "Pieces Of Eight"
- Recorded: 1978 at Paragon Recording Studios, and St. James Cathedral in Chicago, Illinois
Release date: September 1st, 1978 (8th studio album by Styx)009-02-03)
- Record company: A&M Records
- Production: Styx
- Album cover art: Hipgnosis
- Personnel: Dennis DeYoung (keyboards, synthesizers, pipe organ, and vocals), Chuck Panozzo (bass guitar and vocals), John Panozzo (drums and vocals), Tommy Shaw (guitar, mandolin, and vocals), and James Young (guitar and vocals)
- Musical style: Hard rock, progressive rock
- Sound: Although still rockin', "Pieces Of Eight" has some significant progressive leanings and stronger use of keyboards and synthesizers.
- Major themes: Somewhat of a concept album, DeYoung described the major theme of the album as "not giving up your dreams just for the pursuit of money and material possessions". Some of the songs include themes about life, survival, rebellion,
- "Great White Hope"
- "I'm O.K."
- "Sing For The Day"
- "The Message"
- "Lords Of The Ring"
- "Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)"
- "Queen Of Spades"
- "Pieces Of Eight"
- Brewery: Proper Brewing Company (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Website: http://www.properbrewingco.com/
- Brew: Recommend Rye Saison Ale
- Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale
- Serving: 22 ounce bottle
- ABV: 5.6%
- IBUs: 28
- Ingredients: Malted and un-malted rye, Saison yeast, German malts, and hops
- Pour: It pours a hazy golden pear hue with a frothy, 1-finger bright white head with good retention and sustained lacing.
- Nose: The nose is a blend of fruit esters, spiciness, and funk. There are aromas of peppery rye, soft banana, lemon, orange peel, coriander, cloves, and wet leather.
- Taste: The taste of the Recommend Rye is hearty, earthy, fruity, and spicy. There are notes of freshly baked rye bread, Chardonnay, sourdough, lemon, clove, soft banana, and hints of caramel.
- Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with high carbonation, the mouthfeel is crisp, somewhat tart, and peppery with a dry, slightly bitter finish.