Good afternoon evil-doers! I'm celebrating Iron Maiden guitarist Adrian Smith's 60th birthday today with a pairing of "Death On The Road" by Iron Maiden with a Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales!
- Artist: Iron Maiden
- Title: "Death On The Road"
- Recorded: November 24th, 2003 at Westfalenhalle Arena in Dortmund, Germany
- Release date: August 29th, 2005 (8th live album released by Iron Maiden)
- Record company: EMI
- Production: Kevin Shirley and Steve Harris
- Album cover art: Melvyn Grant
- Personnel: Bruce Dickinson (lead vocals), Janick Gers (guitar), Steve Harris (bass guitar and backing vocals), Nicko McBrain (drums), Dave Murray (guitar), and Adrian Smith (guitar and backing vocals)
- Additional musicians: Michael Kenney (keyboards)
- Musical style: Heavy metal, power metal, progressive metal
- Sound: Live Maiden... it kicks ass!!!
- Major themes: Death, good and evil, war, power, insanity, fear, darkness, torture, mythology, paranormal activities, the occult, etc.
- "Wildest Dreams"
- "Can I Play With Madness"
- "The Trooper"
- "Dance Of Death"
- "Brave New World"
- "Lord Of The Flies"
- "No More Lies"
- "Hallowed By Thy Name"
- "Fear Of The Dark"
- "Iron Maiden"
- "The Number Of The Beast"
- "Run To The Hills"
- Brewery: Rogue Ales (Newport, Oregon)
- Website: http://www.rogue.com/
- Brew: Dead Guy Ale
- Style: Maibock / Helles Bock
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 6.8%
- IBUs: 40
- Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ and Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.
- Pour: The Dead Guy Ale pours a wonderful, hazy, deep honey gold-amber with a frothy, 1-finger head. The lighter color makes for a nice juxtaposition with the "darkness" of Maiden's "Death On The Road".
- Nose: The nose is sweet, fruity, biscuity, and caramelly from the malts, but there are definitely some nice earthy and floral hop notes as well. There are aromas of apple, dark fruits (plum and raisin), toffee, and herbs.
- Taste: The flavor is definitely malty, but there's some really tasty hop complexity from the use of Rogue's own trademarked hops. There are notes of freshly baked bread, toffee, sweet biscuit, apple, and bitter herbs.
- Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is crisp and smooth with medium body and carbonation. There's a nice dry and slightly bitter finish as well.
You can order "Death On The Road" (or any of Iron Maiden's amazing albums) from my buddy Kevin at the Heavy Metal Shop: www.heavymetalshop.com! And make sure you pick up a sixer of Dead Guy Ale for a very solid, very delicious Maibock/Helles German-style ale!
Cheers!! Hails!! And UP THE IRONS!!!