Good evening and happy Thursday! The Meista here tonight pairing a Scrimshaw Pilsner Style Beer from North Coast Brewing Company and Derek Sherinian's "Oceana"!
- Artist: Derek Sherinian
- Title: "Oceana"
- Recorded: January 2nd through May 31st, 2011 at Beachwood Manor Studios in Burbank, California and Phantom Recordings in Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, California
- Release date: September 5th, 2011 (7th solo studio album by Derek Sherinian)
- Record company: Music Theories
- Production: Simon Phillips and Derek Sherinian
- Album cover art: Nello Dell'Omo and Roy Koch
- Personnel: Derek Sherinian (keyboards) with Doug Aldrich (guitar on track 6), Joe Bonamassa (guitar on track 7), Tony Franklin (bass on tracks 5 and 9), Jimmy Johnson (bass on all tracks except 5 and 9), Steve Lukather (guitar on tracks 3, 4, and 8), Tony MacAlpine (guitar on tracks 1 and 2), Simon Phillips (drums), and Steve Stevens (guitar on tracks 5 and 9)
- Musical style: Instrumental rock, progressive rock/metal, jazz fusion
- Sound: Less heavy than his earlier works... maybe a little jazzier, but still rocking! Of the album's recording Bonamassa stated: "This session was one of the most challenging of my career. To be in the studio with Derek Sherinian and Simon Phillips [is] daunting. A huge thanks to Both Derek and Simon for getting me through it. I learned a lot. Oceana is a killer record. Highly recommended."
- Major themes: It is an instrumental so your guess is as good as mine, but there seems to be a nautical feel throughout.
- "Five Elements"
- "Mercury 7"
- "Ghost Runner"
- "El Camino Diablo"
- "I Heard That"
- "Seven Sins"
- Brewery: North Coast Brewing Company ( ,California)
- Website: http://northcoastbrewing.com/
- Brew: Scrimshaw Pilsner Style Beer
- Style: German Pilsener
- Serving: 12 ounce bottle
- ABV: 4.7%
- IBUs: 22
- Ingredients: Munich malt and Hallertauer and Tettnang hops
- Pour: The Scrimshaw pours a slightly hazy pale straw-gold with a frothy 1-finger, bright white head with good retention and soapy lacing.
- Nose: The nose is a well-balanced blend of sweeter grains and grassy hop bitterness as well as some fruity sweetness. There are aromas of cereal grains, wheat, summer grass, and hints of pear and apple.
- Taste: The flavor follows the nose... sweet grains, grassy hops, and hints of fruit. There are notes of light grains, very light caramel, light grassy hops, hints of apple, and some light spices.
- Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and smooth with a light body and moderate carbonation with a dry slightly spicy finish.